1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need help w/ digital camera

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Jul 23, 2007.

1. OK, I'm looking at 2 cameras...

The first one is Leica C-LUX 1 made in Germany. It has 7.2 megapixels, has a 2.5in LCD screen, 3.6x optical zoom and 4.0 digital zoom, and it costs almost $500 for a new one... It's supposedly the best and professional-preferred digital camera.

The second is Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5S, it has 6 megapixels, 2.5in LCD screen, 6x optical zoom and 4x digital zoom, and it costs $150.00 new... Why is there such a huge price difference for two very similar cameras?

2. bburk

bburk

Jul 24, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Why is there a huge price difference between an SX and a Sadowski?

3. with out knowing more features of each of the camras its hard to justify the price difference I.E. what kind of preset exposurses it has dose the more expensive one have a movie feature white lite balance?

4. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Buy the Panasonic it's cheaper and a well known brand. I never heard of leica so I'm assuming it's crap and it's more money. Disgusting a brand I never heard of being more expensive. That's like the time I was playing bass and some kid brought out this bass he said cost him 1,500$ and it was called Benevante, pfft I told him he got ripped and should go buy a real bass like the Epiphone les paul bass I had in my hand, he then replied by saying his was superior:rollno:. He was also trying to compare his Genz-Benz(I know, what the hell probably some cheapo brand) amp to the Behringer I was playing through at the time.

5. Most pros shoot digital SLR's not $500 Leicas.

I've had nothing but hapiness with Nikon. Even my daughters low end point and shoot model takes great pics. I've had two 995s, one got drowned in acetone, the other fell in salt water. The salt water drowned one actually worked great after it dried out and I cleaned it!! My wife still uses it and takes great pics. I have a D200 now and it's just plain amazing.

My advice would be to buy the Nikon in your price range and you wont be dissapointed :)

6. The features and dimensions are also somewhat similar... The Leica can take movie clips up to 15min long. I don't know about the Panasonic's movie feature (if it has one).

8. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    pfft ya right! Leica doesn't even sound like a camera name, you might as just spend money on Nikon because they're expensive and they advertise, that's quality!

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Look, no. Absolutely not. Leica? With those features, $500? That's BS. I work in a god damned camera store.

You could get a Canon or a Nikon of exceedingly high quality with similar or better features for around $350 CDN + tax.

That said, no professional photographer uses a god damned compact point and shoot. They use DSLR's. Nikon D200, Canon 30D, Rebel XTi, etc. -- Olympus has a couple of nice models as well. Sony's DSLRs suck. Balls. Awful.

"Leica, with a 7.1 megapixel, 3x optical zoom, etc. etc. is the best and professional-preferred digital camera" = nay. Pro-somer (mix between professional and consumer, apparently) Canon's are 10.1 megapixel, and pros don't even use those, they use higher end Canons or Nikons, or maybe an Olympus once in a while.

*Note: Most pro's wouldn't really use a Rebel XTi.

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    The reason they are so different in price is because they are NOT so similar. Camera is not judged only by MP and zoom. Quality of image, sensor, glass etc etc etc. That's why one camera might be more expensive then other.

Leica C-LUX 1 is definitely NOT what professional photographers want. Hell, even a $700 DSLR (canon digital rabel series) is not what "professional photographers" want. Canon 30D might be close, that's $1500, then there are cameras for $4k etc etc. I look around forums and I don't see many photographer using anything less then SLR/DSLR and definitely not anything point and shoot...

As far as those 2 cameras go, my bro has panasonic, 2 models above that one he bought for $400 few years back (SLR-like i suppose they are called, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50). I am not too impressed with it, but it's ok as P&S. And as far as Leica goes, personally I would not spend $500 on point & shoot cameras. My DSLR setup cost me ~$300-350 (with out additional lenses, just the kit). Grand it i can't take videos (and it was used older model, still in perfect condition), but camera quality of video is crappy anyway.

12. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Digital cameras are all about features. You need to decide what you want and compare features then make your decision on that basis.

Professional photographers prefer an ultra compact? Not likely. You can't even change lenses :rollno:

13. Sounbwoy

Sounbwoy Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Clayton, NC
    I wouldn't take any advice from anyone who takes pictures even HALFWAY seriously and has never heard of Leica...That said, you're paying for the name. Digital is digital and features make the difference. Save your $$.

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Oh and i would probably NEVER listen to the guy who told you that pro photographers use P&S. Ever.

15. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Just buy one from China when you go it's dirt cheap and judging by their current product lines we all "know" they're great quality.

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Might as well just buy used here. No warranty.

OP: Here is a good URL to read on camera features and some reviews.

http://www.dpreview.com

17. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Warranties are for suckers, be a man and just buy.

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I did:

:D

So far it's working out GREAT. But if it does break i can always egg his house. Egging a shop in China from US would be harder.

19. Kids!! :rolleyes:

20. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Well than just start WWIII by bombing the factory.