Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEED HELP W/ GK 800RB + SWR Big Bertha 2X15 cab.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by writteninstone, Jun 29, 2002.

1. writteninstone

writteninstone Guest

Jun 29, 2002
    Latham, NY 12110
    I know this will be hard unless you have the same equip. as me but i have a question.....

I have the GK 800RB head running through the SWR Big Bertha 2X15 cab.

I play an Ernie Ball Stingray 4, (old skool)

I was wondering is anyone could suggest specific level and tone controls on the head that would give me the best sound and tone that my setup is capable of producing.....
    ( keep in mind its the 800rb, if you own one or are familiar with it, please refer specifically)

I play hardcore in a band and want a good solid tone that i know this setup is capable of producing.

Please try not to refer to buying anything, i dont have much more money after buying all this...

Lastly, what is the deal w/ the relationship between volume and master, i dont have a clip light...i want it loud with a good signal.....

Thanks to anyone in advance who can help....

2. The rule with master/volume thing is to put volume at 12 o'clock and then adjust the master to the volume needed. And i guess if you put the volume more then 12 you need a louder amp. Other then that i can't help you.

3. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i'm quite positive that "the best sound" to me will NOT be "the best sound" to you.
    sorry if that's incredibly un-helpful, but it's probably true.
    :(

maybe if you could be more specific about the "sound" that you are shooting for, (favorite bassists, records, etc.) another hardcore player could offer suggestions with EQ settings, etc.?

4. jmanyea

jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    I would run the master nearly wide open and adjust the volume according to how loud you need to be. This gives the most clean headroom. Also, the boost dial adds both grind and volume and works in conjunction with the other 2. Start with the tones straight up and then adjust the bass to get the most out of your cab, balance with the treble end and then work with the midrange knobs to get your sound. Note that the tone controls are boost/cut so a little goes a long way.

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Although I use a 1001rb now, I've owned a 800rb for over 12 years and I still use it as a practice amp. It was my main amp for nearly 10 of those years.

Jmanyea suggestion will work for you. Another method of running the amp is to set the preamp between 10 and 12 o'clock with the master between 12 o'clock and full-on. As previously mentioned, the boost can be set to add more volume and growl. Probably between 8 o'clock and 11 o'clock.

I actually emailed GK with the same question a month ago. Let me go and find that email, and I'll post it here. They're response was something like the immediately preceding paragraph above.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think the best way to do it is to start with the master volume down to almost off and all tone controls flat. turn up the pre gain until your bass starts clipping the input when you hit it as hard as you will possibly play, and then back it off a few clicks until it doesn't clip anymore.

then turn up the master volume to playing volume and listen to your bass. if something is missing, try to dial it in with the EQ.

7. jmanyea

jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    The thing is that the 800rb does not have a clip light. Generally though, this is the procedure.

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

It's usually better to have your volume at least halfway up, then adjust with your master. Diming the master and then adjusting with the volume can compromise tone because it's not using the full capacity of the amp. Since the 800rb isn't a tube amp, that may not necessarily be the case because you don't have to worry about saturating the tubes, but there's absolutely no reason you should clip the amp with the pregain/volume only halfway up, so I would put it there and adjust the master accordingly.

Also, we do need more information about the kind of tone you're trying to get.

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    OK, I finally found that email I received from GK Engineering after asking this same question a few months ago. This guy actually plays bass too.

He said to start with the master at 3 o'clock, the preamp at 10 o'clock, and the boost at 10 o'clock.

The boost gives your signal more gain and growl. you then adjust tone controls to your taste.

After putting his suggestion into practical application, I've settled on running my preamp between 10 o'clock and 12 o'clock, the master between 3 o'clock and full-on, and the boost between 9 o'clock and 10 o'clock. The tone is great, and I have lots of headroom.

10. writteninstone

writteninstone Guest

Jun 29, 2002
    Latham, NY 12110
    Thanks to everyone for the help.
    Im trying to get a booming, full tone w/o pushing too much to my cab resulting in crumby low end...

So far theres been two suggestions...

More volume less master
    and
    more master less volume

Will experimenting with either or these do damage?

11. writteninstone

writteninstone Guest

Jun 29, 2002
    Latham, NY 12110
    SO I have just about settled on my volume being between 1 and 2 oclock and my master at around 10 o clock, i was told this will give you a really present, clean signal, volume, and wont push the head to a maxium capacity...

Anyone wish to elaborate?

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Well, as I said earlier, pushing the head IS a good thing, as long as it's not too much. On my Sunn 300T I have my pre set at 7 and my master at about 2.

You're worried about pushing the head to it's maximum capacity...either way you're putting equal stress on the amp. With the master dimed, that pushes your power amp...with your pre dimed, that pushes your preamp. Either way you're going to be pushing one part of the amp or the other. If you set them both at medium levels, you're not pushing it hard enough to damage it or do anything but normal wear and tear to it. Plus, I've found it gets you a better tone.