Need Help w/MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seungkoo, Jan 31, 2005.

1. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    just picked one up at atomic music here in md...used lined fretless. looks like it wa smade in the 90's im thinking towards the end....great neck and feel of the bass....its very heavy thats why i picked it up. i feel like this is the best MIM Jazz i picked up in my i want to make it sound even better....lookin for that vintage vibe...what picks ups, electronics, set up do you guys recommend??
    i was lookin towards a fender custom shop 60's pick ups and electronics..but what have ou guys experienced with...i want that jaco sound out of this thing
  2. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    lower the action as much as possible w/o rattling for the most mwah/best tone.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The first two characters in the serial number should tell you the year........N=90's, E=80's, S=70's. The following number is the year.

As an example....the first two in my Jazz are N7. Thus, it was made in 1997.

As far as the reason for your thread....have you considered putting in a J-Retro preamp?

4. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Nordstrand NJ4's. 'Nuff said.
  5. id personally say dimarzio model j's, not ultra jazz's, but model j's. I put a set on my MIM Fender, unbelievable definition and sound. I had bought and installed a bartolini preamp at the same time, and If i had know the pups sounded so good, i don't know If i would've added the pre (plus chiseled out a portion under the pickguard :) )
    Also, the individually adjustable pole pieces were a major plus as well, I got my string to string volume almost perfect. I imagine this is a common feature on after market pups, but this is my first set.

Someone did a jazz pup comparison on here, actually I think there are several, but I bought the model j's based on those reccomendations, and it was the best purchase decision I made. I also put new schaller tuners, a new gotoh bridge, basically the only things made by fender on mine are the neck and body, i changed all the screws, pickguard, and neckplate :)