Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help w/my Amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BaSSiST12312786, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaSSiST12312786

BaSSiST12312786

Nov 2, 2002
    Hey every1, i wuz just wondering, for the knobs on the amp-bass middle trebble and presence, where should they be? from 1-10, should i just center them all? idk if any1 understands lol but ya kno...the KNOBS! i have my starter amp and idk wut positions the knobs should be what should be higher than what or lower then what...god i hope sum1 understands that lol well if any1 can help thanks if not then i'll just try and figure it out myself...

2. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    wat r u t4lking ab0ut? I c4n't und3rst4nd U.

3. BaSSiST12312786

BaSSiST12312786

Nov 2, 2002
    The knobs, trebble presence bass and middle? how high do you have'em on your bass, what would make it sound the best?

4. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Ahhhhh. Now we're getting somewhere.

It depends on the kind of amp, but it's mostly just personal preference.

I'd suggest starting with everything at zero and changing them slowly until you get the sound you want. Generally, in a band type setting, more midrange will help you "cut through" and be heard but it usually sounds strange for solo practicing.

5. BaSSiST12312786

BaSSiST12312786

Nov 2, 2002
    lol yea sorry that first one didnt make much sense to me either after i read it. Thanks though i'll try that...

6. Hey kid, pull your ass out of your head. Or the other way around. Noone thinks your cool by typing that way! :cough:GOTH:cough:

But try to keep settings as centered as possible, and just go with what sounds best. Your knobs (which we bassists call "EQ" as in EQUALIZATION) should never be maxed. Knobs up past 7 or 8 risk damage to your speaker, especially your lowend settings. I keep my "bass" on about 2 ocklock, my "mids" at 0 (centered), and my highs on 1-3 oclock. I have a shape circuit that adds a tangier or boom-boomier sound to it.

Try this, crank it all up as high as it goes. That's how I used to play. I'm sure I damaged something, because it just doesn't get as loud as it used to and bottoms out quicker

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    The funny thing about all the EQ knobs amps have is that they get to be excessive real quick.

A lot of people play with their EQ's basically centered all the time.

As mentioned above...start with everthing centered. Then turn each knob one at a time in each direction to see what effect it has on the tone. Then experiment a little, using each EQ feature sparingly...

8. BaSSiST12312786

BaSSiST12312786

Nov 2, 2002
    Yea um bassist dude if u were talkin 2 me im not "goth" actually im far from it, i dont "talk" in any particular way, i TYPE like that cuz thats just wut im used 2 (get over it) and yea sorry i dont use technical terms alrite just chill out its a friggin question and no one thinks ur cool for trying 2 put down a strange person who asked a simple opinionated question, if u were tryin 2 put me down u should prolly try harder cuz i just found that really stupid not insulting at all, i think ur just dumb for even sayin that though just answer the question and keep ur bad attempts at insulting people to urself, that way u dont embarass urself or any1 else for that matter...

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    centR evrything 2 start with, listeNN 4 annoying freeQuencies and then cutt them.

BooST onLEE if U still don't like WhAT U hear.

10. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Umm...
    [​IMG]
    ;)

11. No offense, but seriously, who's going to take you seriously by typing like that? Each to his own, but YOU came out awfully 'lazy'.;)

Chill man:D I answered your question!:( But still, you call me dumb and you've got no idea who you're talking to!

12. BaSSiST12312786

BaSSiST12312786

Nov 2, 2002
    Alright. I'll type properly. I'm not lazy, it's just how I type online...ok I am sorta lazy lol. You did answer my question and thanks lol you're right I dont know who I'm talking to, neither do you. So lets just forget that ever happened lol. Again, sorry.

13. Jes' a test of patience! I started it:D

btw, I'm just a 14 year old loser with very few friends. Now you know who I am:p

14. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    LOL

nice pic

15. lol, is the drummer a guy with problems, or a young girl with even MORE problems....sorry for hijacking the thread.;)

16. Aw hell, they all have problems

17. They're so cute! I bet they get signed in two months! ;)

Mommy...can I go out and...pose tonight?!!!

18. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Stop, PSB, I'm crying already!

19. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    This isnt helping anyones day.

Closed.

Thread Status: