Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help w/ my ibanez sr900

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by smitcat, May 6, 2005.

1. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    I finally got this back from the music store/ ibanez after owning it for three months. I played if for a couple months and it was fine. I went to change the strings one day, and then the frets started to buzz from the 8th and on, on the E string. The music store said that it looked like there was a high fret, so they sent it off to be fixed. Well i just got it back yesterday, and it still buzzes. The nut appears to keep the string really low, and when i push down on the 12th fret to check relief, the string is already on the first fret. does this mean there is a nut problem, or should i just set the relief differently? I don't know how it could be the nut if the bass worked absolutely fine for a couple months. I don't want to have to pay to get it fixed, since this is basically brand new. Its registered and under warranty.
    thanks for any help, other experience
    -Mike

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    When you changed strings, you probably put on a set with lower tension that was on the bass before.

Based on what you have discribed, it sounds as if simply loosening the truss to allow a bit more relief would be all you need to get back in business.

If you just bought the bass, the shop ought to set it up for you.

3. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    Well i spent a good hour trying to set it up right, and i was still getting some buzz around the 5th and 6th fret of the E. I thought the nut slot for that string still looked low, so i thought i would try something. I ripped a small piece of paper, and folded it a few times. I then put it in the slot to raise it a little, and voila! problem solved. Now should i have ibanez fix it AGAIN, or just take it to someone and have them make me a new nut???

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I still don't think you have the relief correctly set. If the nut is cut too low, it'll buzz on the first and/or second fret, not the fifth or sixth.

5. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    do you recommend loosening the truss rod some more then? I wasn't sure what the best thing to do was. If i have to, i will take it somewhere, but i would like to be able to solve this myself. It just seemed odd to me that that would make it play fine. When i listen to where the buzz is starting, it is at the first fret.
    Is there any harm in using it like that??

6. I had this problem with my SRX500. I originally put the 'same' gauge strings on, but it buzzed like hell and needed a severe truss rod adjustment. Me being me wasn't happy with the status quo, as the action was now as high as my lame P-bass clone (hopefully giving this a huge frankensteining soon :p ). Then I looked at the stock E string with the replacement. despite both supposedly being a .105 - .045 set the stock elixirs were much thicker E and A string-wise. So now my SRX wears a custom set of .110, .090, .065, .045 Roto stainless'.

Dunno if that helps, but as all (I think) Ibanez basses are now stock strung with Elixirs, it might be a common problem.

Marty