1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Help. Well, more of a push.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ApeIsHigh81, Dec 28, 2004.

1. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    What it be like, my great TB pals.

Please help me on this one. I'm broke. I want an SR5/sterling or Skyline 55-02/44-02. I can't keep my jazz and afford one of these.
    I've always wanted that extra b (I'll stay with 4 though if the deals right) string & an onboard pre. I absolutely love my jazz's sound/7.25 radius and never thought I'd contemplate selling it. Problem is, I practice and play so much better on Musicmans, since the humbucker acts as a ramp, and I don't want to pump any more money into this jazz (custom ramp, j-retro). The aggie db-924 always feels in the way too, I want it simple & clean, bass>cable>amp.

I would love that j + mm combo on a skyline, but the only thing that keeps me from getting one is the fact it's not the "best" of it's class (55/44-94) and it doesn't have a pickguard.

Someone tell me to do it.

Anyone here ever go from a passive jazz to an active Musicman as a main bass?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its funny how whatever bass i buy or am looking at buying, suddenly theres like 19090 threads about it. I wanted a Spector Euro for a while and suddnely so did everyone else. Now i just bought a Sterling and theres massive Musicman threads.

But to get to you. I tihnk whatever you play best on and what you think sounds best, you should get. You say you play best on MMs, thats definitely a factor.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Just because a bass isn't 3000$ doesn't mean it kicks ass. Go with the 55/44-02. They're great basses, and you can always modify it to fit your needs if you dont' like it stock. You can also get a pickguard for the 44's and 55's.

4. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Wow, the stingray and 55-02 are soooo different, at least to my ears. I like the SR5 tone much better. I keep trying Lakland basses, but I never end up keeping them.

5. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    You know... you're right. If I don't get the Lakland pickguard, I was just thinking I could get a ramp made for the lakland later on, and place a couple strips of nicely cut electrical tape across the 2 pups to protect the body. I put the jazz up for trade in the classifieds.

6. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I dig both, but prefer the sr5 tone much more as well. Can't go wrong with it, & I don't want to have to modify ANYTHING. I'm done with upgrading any bass, no point in buying just to upgrade.

7. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Seeing that you like the MM tone better, better off going with one then. Awesome basses.