Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help. Well, more of a push.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ApeIsHigh81, Dec 28, 2004.

1. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    What it be like, my great TB pals.

Please help me on this one. I'm broke. I want an SR5/sterling or Skyline 55-02/44-02. I can't keep my jazz and afford one of these.
    I've always wanted that extra b (I'll stay with 4 though if the deals right) string & an onboard pre. I absolutely love my jazz's sound/7.25 radius and never thought I'd contemplate selling it. Problem is, I practice and play so much better on Musicmans, since the humbucker acts as a ramp, and I don't want to pump any more money into this jazz (custom ramp, j-retro). The aggie db-924 always feels in the way too, I want it simple & clean, bass>cable>amp.

I would love that j + mm combo on a skyline, but the only thing that keeps me from getting one is the fact it's not the "best" of it's class (55/44-94) and it doesn't have a pickguard.

Someone tell me to do it.

Anyone here ever go from a passive jazz to an active Musicman as a main bass?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its funny how whatever bass i buy or am looking at buying, suddenly theres like 19090 threads about it. I wanted a Spector Euro for a while and suddnely so did everyone else. Now i just bought a Sterling and theres massive Musicman threads.

But to get to you. I tihnk whatever you play best on and what you think sounds best, you should get. You say you play best on MMs, thats definitely a factor.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Just because a bass isn't 3000$ doesn't mean it kicks ass. Go with the 55/44-02. They're great basses, and you can always modify it to fit your needs if you dont' like it stock. You can also get a pickguard for the 44's and 55's.

4. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Wow, the stingray and 55-02 are soooo different, at least to my ears. I like the SR5 tone much better. I keep trying Lakland basses, but I never end up keeping them.

5. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    You know... you're right. If I don't get the Lakland pickguard, I was just thinking I could get a ramp made for the lakland later on, and place a couple strips of nicely cut electrical tape across the 2 pups to protect the body. I put the jazz up for trade in the classifieds.

6. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I dig both, but prefer the sr5 tone much more as well. Can't go wrong with it, & I don't want to have to modify ANYTHING. I'm done with upgrading any bass, no point in buying just to upgrade.

7. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Seeing that you like the MM tone better, better off going with one then. Awesome basses.