Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help....what amp to buy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dustklose, Mar 27, 2005.

1. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    hey, ok right now i have a Peavey Minx110...haha ****ty i know...but i have about 500$ to spend and i need.....a head, and a cabinet!! haha 500$ not much i know but i'm 16!!!! i dont have much money....so i need to find a good cheap amp and a good cheap cabinet....please help me in anyway possible...i was gunna buy Behringer Ultrabass gear....a 1x15 and a 300w head for around 425$.....but i've read ALOT of negative things about behringer...so please help me...keep in mind i have around 500$ to spend ...thanks and if it means anything i play a 5-string...haha :bassist: :help: :bassist:

2. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    With that kind of budget your options are very limited. Especially if you want new. If that's the case I'd go for the Avatar B212, but you're probably going to have to stick with the Behringer head until you can scrape up more cash later.

I think that rig will hold you over for a while.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    You might consider the Behringer head and an Avatar cabinet such as their 2x12 or B410 series. Those would be fine. But the Behringer head will put out only 165 watts into 8 ohms, or 300 watts into 4 ohms, which isn't much but should probably be fine unless you're not going to be using a PA system. You should probably get a 4 ohm cabinet which limits your options down the road but will get you all the power that head has for now. What kind of sound are you looking for and what kind of music do you play?

4. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
  5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    That link's not working for me for some reason but I'll say this. Most times you get what you pay for but with avatar you get way more. Their cabs are outstanding in a lot of ways and I'm willing to bet would be well worth the extra money to you. Just my opinion but my Avatar cabinet is the only piece of gear I've kept for any significant period of time because I don't feel the need to change it, it does everything I've ever asked of it and does it well.

6. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    i'm at the avatar site....and what do you think...a 2x12 2x10 1x15...what would you recomend? there pretty cheap...which means i could use a little more on the head...do you still think that the behringer head is my best bet...or what about the ashdown mag300H?

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

That's the same thing that I'm thinking of right now. The two look very appealing.
    Link

8. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If you're just buying one cab, then a 212 or 410 as Ralphdaddy suggested is going to be your best bet. More important though, you need to decide if you plan to get another cab in the near future. If not, go with a 4 ohm version for more power. If you plan to get another cab later, I would probably go for the 8 ohm.

Also, if you can afford the extra cash for the cab plus the Ashdown, I would go for the Ashdown, but that's just me. They pretty much look like the same amp. I've never had the opportunity to try either one, but the Ashdown seems to have a much better reputation here at TB.

9. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    i agree...its a lil over the 500$ but i'm sure my ma and pa can lend there loved son some money lol...i just gotta convince them it will be worth it....they dont believe in my musical skillz...but ya i was thinking the 2x12 w/ and ashdown mag300h