Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help - what effect is this?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rporcupine, Aug 10, 2004.

1. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    I know its not on a bass, i was just wondering if anyone knew?

Whats that effect used in Red Hot Chili Peppers - Throw away your television? I think John uses some line 6 pedal patch for it. I dunno. Does anyone know what other pedals there are which make that noise.

thankyou people. yay

2. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    oh by the way, i meant the effect used in the solo. that sorta whoowaheeeeehhhhhurghhhhhhaaweeeooooooo kinda thing.

3. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    I think it's some kind of VCF patch (voltage controlled filter) on, as you say, the Line6 Filter Modeller. I don't know the Filter Modeller, but I've got something similiar on my Behringer Bass V-Amp. I can't offhand think of any standalone pedals that do the effect.

Sounds great on the Live At Slane DVD, whatever it is :D

4. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    ... Or it could be a random arpeggiator thing, a-la the Robotalk...

Anyone?

5. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    thanks,

is there like a single effect pedal? like a boss or a dod. i dont want like a big thing..

i have a zoom 506II i got years ago, that has a patch on it which does the same. on the manual it says that its like 'step' or sumthing?

hmm

6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    If it's the "Step" sound, it's produced in pedal form in the Z Vex Seek Wah, Z Vex Ooh Wah, and the Robotalk - as well as its own patch in the Line 6 FM4. Very cool sound, made by running several notch filters in sequence, like 8 differently-parked wahs in a row being cycled thru at speed.

All of these pedals are pretty pricey to get that one sound, the FM4 is the least expensive especially used, but it's a larger format pedal.

7. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    the digitech phaser and flanger both have steps...morello uses a step in gasoline for the solo if this is a step we're talking about(just to clarify)

8. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    yo jammadave. YES i love you, you have the EBS BassIQ. t'is jolly good is it not?

9. The Step Phasers (Boss makes one as well) just step up and down through the phase cycle. They just step up to the peak then down to the trough, whereas the effect John's using is a random thing. Similar, but different enough that a step phaser doesn't emulate it right.

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I think the Adrenalinn has a random step function.

Not random, but not just straight-up-and-down either, is the new Moog MuRF.

11. The pedal John uses in that solo is a boss Phase Shift PH-3 with the step function turned on. To get that sound, get flip the Depth and Res knobs to max, and ajust the rate knob to liking.

12. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhkaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy. :eyebrow:

Seriously though, the BassIQ is the jam. :bassist:

All God's chillen needs them a BassIQ.