{need help} which distorter???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    You might consider getting a distortion pedal which is made specifically for bass like the Digitech XBD Bass Overdrive pedal, or the Boss ODB-3. Those might be a little more to your liking.
  2. could you give me a website to each of those?

and whats the diff between overdrive and distorter? which is better for bass?

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    For the love of god, just do a "distortion" search on this site. There have been numerous threads beating this issue to death. All the info you could ever dream of . . .
  4. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002

Here are the links to their websites.

Boss: www.bossus.com
    Digitech: www.digitech.com
  5. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Well if you search for 'bass' on a bass forum, you can expect 500 matches. Id have expected more. Try just 'distortion' or 'overdrive pedal'. :rolleyes:
  6. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    mate, its a search for "bass + distortion" so ill choose to ignore your sarcasm :)
  7. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I have an Ibanez Phat head...I've been able to dial in a sound close to TOOL...if you like that sort of thing...it has overdrive and distortion...it has lots of control as does Boss...I've played with both and I don't think you can go wrong with either
  8. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK

Touche :p
  9. Hey, you might want to check out a Carl Martin Heavy Drive. I have one for about a month now, and it rips as an agressive distortion! It isn't really subtle but you can dial in a truly mean sound wich will cut thru a wall of guitars :D . Apart from that it's true-bypass, it keeps you low-end pretty much intact if you don't crank up the gain too much and it has a bunch of usable sounds, it just isn't a mellow overdrive you'll have to keep that in mind.
  10. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Where can a guy find one of those???
  11. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Carl Martin Stuff:

Overdrive Pedals:

From what I have read here, Flea uses the Boss OBD-3 Distortion pedal, and that seems to be the starting point for the modern heavy rock players:

I have a friend who plays metal, and he thinks that the big muff is the business for his type of music:

But, I use a Fulltone Bass Drive, which I think sounds pretty good (picture below), it has two push buttons, so I get clean (off off), overdrive (on off) and distortion (on on):

You can search for reviews by manufacturer here:

12. The Digitech Bass Driver is the only pedal that I take to every gig and band practice. Whether I want a very subtle distortion to juice up my sound a bit, get a good rock distortion, a heavy hard ass distortion, or totally fuzz it out, the Digitech Bass Driver: Bass Distortion/Overdrive delivers whatever overdrive you're lookin for.
    click on listen for a sound demo of what it has to offer.