Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help wiring 4 speakers + tweeter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patrickj, Jan 27, 2004.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    If anyone can advise me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I've finally finished up the grill for my 4x12 cabinet (Aguilar copy). I'm not sure I wired in my tweeter properly when I originally put it all together. I had series'd/parallel'd the four 8ohm speakers together to get 8ohm (resulting in a single +/-), and then I paralleled the tweeter (6db/octave cutoff - doh) with that. Then, all to the input.

I've since purchased a real crossover for the whole thing, but was my original wiring solution wrong? (parallel the tweeter with all 4 woofers). It worked, but we all know that just because something works doesn't mean it's working right ;)

Thanks!

2. plastica

plastica

Dec 21, 2003
    watertown wi usa
    well i cant say i can tell you a better soulution.... but you were (in theory) giving the tweeter 1/2 the load with that setup. not really good for tweeter life i dont think. but i guess you got away with it. the crosover is the best solution to your problem. your "cutoff" seems to me to have been a crosover of sorts (filter ect whatever ya wana call it) its all pretty basic electronic math. if it worked ya did ok, but a real crosover will be alot nicer , filtering some highs out of the big drivers.

3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Do I connect all 4 woofers to the cross over? Or should I single out one woofer and cross that over, then attach the tweeter to that?

4. plastica

plastica

Dec 21, 2003
    watertown wi usa
    i would keep the woffers together, what kind of cross over do you have? does it just give you highs, or does it have an output that cuts highs for the woffers?

5. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    2 way, cuts highs for the lows, cuts lows for the high.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    For bass cabs, I prefer the sound when the speakers are not attached to the crossover. I use it to feed highs to the horn and that's it. Hi-Fi and PA speakers are a different story.

Try it both ways, see which one sounds better to you.