Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help wiring Bartolini MK3 pickup.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rubo, Feb 14, 2006.

1. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Just got a Bartolini MK3 dual coil pup and trying to connect it in a passive mode to a jazz set up. The pickup has black wire, green+ silver together and white+red together. I'm connecting it to a regular Vol 250k pot. What are my options here and which wire goes where?

Cheers

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Seems that's a Korean pup but if it's the standard Bart code then regardless it's currently wired in series/humbucking mode with black being the hot lead and green/bare (silver as you called it) ground.

You're options are single coil, dual coil series, or dual coil parallel - all three if you use the appropriate switch if you want.

3. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I know that, in series mode where does teh ground go just to the control plate?

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

The words get in the way A.

ground is ground, it's all connected. But typically, ground leads are soldered to pot backs to the pot the hot lead is wired to. Pull up about any wiring diagram and that's what you'll see.

Not sure what you're calling the control plate but if it's grounded to the system then that will work too, if it's not, it won't work.

5. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Ok now i'm completely confused, cna you please look over thsi diagram and tell me which wire goes where on the vol pot?

where is the +- and groudn located on the vol pot?

http://www.bartolini.net/instructio...hing/Switch_Wiring_DualCoil_Pickups4_cond.pdf

mine is on the left side - series diagram

Cheers

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

They're just showing the pup connections that create series/parallel output.

The green/bare (ground) would typically be soldered to a volume pot back for ground and the black (Hot) wire to center lug of volume pot - but it depends on the wiring diagram you use. That will work as long as the pot is grounded. The red/white should be capped together and go nowhere.

You can pull up any wiring diagram and wire the above in place of their hot and ground connections and it will work in accord with that particular diagram.