Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help: Wiring EMG Js to Carvin Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Saint, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Does anyone have any advice on how to wire 2 EMG J pups to a Carvin 3-band pre-amp? Can this be done?

Thanks.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

they should wire to any preamp. Red wires tie in with hot lead of the battery, shield goes to ground, and white pup wire ties in wherever the exising pup hot lead is run.

3. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Thanks luknfur.

4. It might not be quite as simple as that. The output from the internal EMG preamp is low impedance and the output level might be too high for the Carvin input stage. You could possibly install a trim pot between the EMG output and the Carvin input to adjust the signal level, but you might want to find out what the EMG output impedance is in comparison with a passive Carvin pickup impedance.

Rick B.

5. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The input impedance of the Carvin preamp is not relevant. For the record, it's about 250K ohms.

The real issue is headroom. Fortunately, the Carvin pre's gain is adjustable. The minimum setting is unity gain (= 0 dB). At this setting, and with a fresh battery, it should be able to handle at least 2 V rms (5.6 V peak-peak). This would be pretty hot for a passive pickup, and might be enough to overdrive many bass amps' input stages!

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

when you mix and match, you never know what idiosyncrasies you may run into till you fire up. Something not designed as aftermarket is more likely to be problematic. But I've had Fender, Status, and other preamps and ran mutant pups through them. Having a gain/trim pot on the preamp is a plus cause signal compatibility is probably the most common issue.

As long as the amp setting is kept low on ignition, to my knowledge, nothing can be damaged in the process. I've wired basses about every wrong way possible and have never damaged anything. So I've concluded I really have nothing to loose by cutting straight to the chase without trying to figure out what may or may not work first - cause I never know regardless till I do it.