Need help wiring new WIP 3-pickup Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cleb, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Cleb

Cleb

Aug 27, 2017
    So, I'm a fairly new bassist, having only been playing for a few months now. I just recently got hold of a WIP Fender Jazz, it is all put together but lacks any wiring. It also has what I gather is a fairly unusually pickup setup with two EMG single coils and a Lace humbucking in the back.
    I've spent the better part of week reading about how too wire a bass, and I feel like I'm starting to get a decent grasp of the essentials. What I haven't been able to do yet is decide on how to wire this guy up.
    Having just recently discovered this forum I thought I'd ask you guys for some advice! I've got some photos attached below. Hit me up with any questions, comments, or concerns! Interested to hear what thoughts you may have on it.

20170827_194801. 20170827_194812. 20170827_194822.

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Questions:
    What's "WIP"?
    Are those EMG pickups active or passive?
    Are you going to bother to screw down the bridge pickup? :D
    Was there some kind of tone you're seeking that caused you to buy this 3-pickup gizmo?

I'm not you, but I'd wire the two j-bass style pickups in the normal J-bass fashion, (volume, volume, tone) and then have the Lace bridge pickup with it's own volume control and a 2-position toggle to switch between the J-bass pickups OR the Lace bridge pickup on it's own. I just don't see the 2 jazz pickup combining nicely with the loud but passive bridge pickup, especially if those EMGs are active. It'll be like having TWO (TWO!) basses in one!

3. Cleb

Cleb

Aug 27, 2017
    I just meant that it's still a work-in-progress. The EMGs are active pickups. The bass is still setup just like it was when I got it, the bridge pickup isn't screwed in, but it's attached pretty firmly with some kind of doubled sided tape. To be honest, I got the bass mainly because I could get a good deal on it as the previous owner didn't have the time to finish it, and I didn't really know what I was getting myself into.:D So, I had no real plans for what kind of tone I want from it. Although, I am definitely interested in your idea of having essentially two basses in one.

4. You will not be able to mix the signals from active and passive pickups, unless you buffer the passive pickup, to lower its output impedance. One way that you could do this is to buy one of those buffered blend pots that EMG sells. Use it to blend the passive pickup with the pair of EMGs. (Use either a dual volume scheme, or a passive blend scheme, or a pickup selector switch for the EMGs.) Another way is to build a small buffer circuit from an opamp and some resistors and capacitors.

5. Cleb

Cleb

Aug 27, 2017
    What would be the benefit of mixing the signals versus just toggling between the active and passive pickups?

6. Simple A/B switching between the pickups can be done without any fancy circuitry, if you want to go that route, however, you will be missing out on the tonal varieties gained from mixing the pickups.