1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need help wiring Nordstrand Big singles

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rms2, Apr 26, 2010.

1. rms2

rms2

May 27, 2008
    VA
    I have a set of Big Singles that I am trying to wire with an OBP-3. In the pictures below the pots left to right are vol neck, vol bridge, push/pull mids, and top right is stacked tone. The other hole will be a dummy for now.

I have followed the schematic from Aguilar best as I could. I'm not sure which pole on the jack the black wire from the pickups should go to and far as I can tell the red wire from the pups should not be connected anywhere.

0426000929a.

2. rms2

rms2

May 27, 2008
    VA

3. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    What pickups are those :confused:

4. The pickup hots should go to the center terminals of the two volumes.

The wiring looks weird to me.
    Why aren't the third terminals of the pots grounded?

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    lol, i agree. Not only that, but like, when you wire something, its so much easier to really take your time and make everything nice and neat inside there so if there is a problem, you can see and get to it easier.

I dont know why your third terminal isnt grounded. I see the jumper wire from each third terminal, but i dont see where that one wire goes. what is that!?

Like, right to the left of that green pot on the picture. Is that just a mass of wire and solder!?
    0426000929a.

EDIT. Relooking at that part i said. That seems like a really poor way to ground all your stuff man. If i were you I'd redo the whole bass.

6. Oh, I see now.
    You grounded the third terminals of the pots with that floating star ground point/mess of solder.

Definitely a poor way to ground the bass.

Whatever the heat-shrink covered lead is, needs to be fixed!

7. rms2

rms2

May 27, 2008
    VA
    Santucci - it came to me wired this way, I'm trying to fix it. That's why everything is exposed. I left it that way on purpose until I can get it wired correctly. I'll clean up the mess and make it look tidy later. I'm just asking for some help from more knowledgeable people here, not criticism or sarcasm.

If anybody can tell me how to actually wire this properly as in what wire goes to what terminal I would appreciate it. I don't have much experience wiring active electronics so I need some simple pointers. I am however good with solder. This thing came with cold solder joints all over the place. Those I have fixed.

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I'd personally unsolder everything and start fresh, and organize as I go.

9. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    those are Fatstacks (W - hot, B - negative, G - ground, R - tap)

M

10. rms2

rms2

May 27, 2008
    VA
    Thanks Maurilio - I was told they were Big Singles when I bought the bass but I see on the Nordstrand website that the Big Singles don't have the dummy coil tap like these do. I was thinking about selling them since I don't like any noise but since they are Fat Stacks I think I'll try them for awhile.

I also found out that this bass originally had EMG 45DC's in it. Thus there is no ground to the bridge. So after I took stflbn's advice and rewired everything I had good sound but with serious 60hz hum. So now I need to drill a hole to the bridge and wire that back to ground.

I also took apart the star grounding "mess" as Santucci suggested and have run individual ground wires. However I have read that star grounding works well. What is the proper way to do that?