Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help Wiring Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by H3rEye51nRoam, Oct 5, 2004.

1. H3rEye51nRoam

H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    Hello all, I recently picked up a bass at a garage sale for $40. It looks like an older Gibson. You can find pictures and information on it here, http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145741. I still haven't identified it though. The wiring in it though was horrible and some of it was missing. The only thing that would work when I first plugged it into an amp was the input itself. It was playable, but I had no volume or tone control. So I bought new pots and am working on rewiring this. I am having trouble doing so though. I am lost, I have no experience whatsoever in wiring up pickups or anything like that. I have lots of soldering experience though, so that is not a problem. I wired it up approximately how it was originally and nothing works. So I did some variations on what I found from generic diagrams. I need your guy's help please. Here are some attached images of how I have it wired right now. Right now, the 473k capacitor is soldered to the left pin on the 2nd pot with the other end of it soldered to the pot itself. I then have a wire soldered to the pot itself, it is then soldered to the left pin of the 1st pot and then to the outer ring of the input jack. The single red wire coming from the pickup is then soldered to the outer ring of the input jack as well. I then have the blue and green wires from the pickup soldered to a red one which is soldered to the inner ring of the input jack. I honestly have no idea what I am doing, this is just how it was originally wired up and from what I could find on generic diagrams. If anyone can help me in wiring this up correctly, I would highly appreciate it. Any and all help is well appreciated. Thank you very much for your time.

2. H3rEye51nRoam

H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    Here's pictures of the wiring as a whole.

3. H3rEye51nRoam

H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    Can anyone at all help me out here? All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've never seen the vol/tone controls wired like that before.
    I'd start with something like a standard P bass wiring diagram, like this one from SD:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/support/schematics/standard_pbass.html

Your red pickup wire is the 'hot' wire from what I can gather, the other ones go to ground. I"m guessing one is the pickup 'cold' wire and another is a shielding wire?

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You have the pickup wired straight to the output, which you do not want to do, because then you have no volume. I'll draw up a quick diagram for you, just gimme a minute....

Edit: Wiring Diagram

6. H3rEye51nRoam

H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    Thank you VERY much, I highly appreciate the diagram!! I will try that out right now. Thanks a ton. I appreciate it.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    tell me how it turns out...

8. H3rEye51nRoam

H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    Works great so far. For the time being, I ran it through a guitar amp and the volume worked great. The tone I could hear a little diff. when adjusting it but I am sure once I get it all setup and run it through a bass amp it will be good.