1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help with 2x10/2x12 basslite s2010/s2012 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kimster, May 29, 2012.

1. Kimster

Kimster

May 29, 2012
    Hi!

I´m planning to build a 2x10 or 2x12 ported cab with basslite s2010 or s2012. I have made some calculations in winisd and the optimum box was calculated to be 53.16 liters with a tuning frequency of 60.22Hz with the s2010. The tuning seems a little high I think. Can anyone give me some advise of how I should proceed? I´m thinking about lowering the tuning to around 50Hz but should I change the volume of the box in that case?

I also made some calculations with the s2012, but it seems like it would be a rather big enclosure to get it good and I would like to keep it in the smaller league but still be able to play a bit louder than my sealed 1x12 (also with basslite) that I currently use. I only use a standard 4-string. So E is the lowest I get!

The design is going to be vertical with a square port at the bottom of the front.

2. StraightSix

StraightSix

Nov 23, 2011
    What is your current 1x12...?

I would suggest that another, identical 1x12 is your best bet - then you have two options - one 1x12 for small gigs and a 2x12 stack for bigger gigs.

Be sure both the S2012 drivers are 8 ohm.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Build another one the same as the first. Use one for small gigs, both when you need them.

4. Kimster

Kimster

May 29, 2012
    Yes, I´ve been thinking about that, but I would like to try a ported enclosure to reach a little lower with more power. The 1x12 I´ve got is a sealed box and I don´t think it´s a good idea to build a ported one to go with it, or is it?! There might be some phase problems and a difference in sensitivity as well.

It is also fun just building new things and I´m curious of a 2x10 enclosure.

5. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    What are your volume needs?

My s2010 loaded 1x10 is my favorite cab. No tweeter. No crossover. Its good as a monitor, and fills the stage with some great sounding bass. We are IEM and have decent FOH. I think a single 1x10 is great for our practices with acoustic drums. It gets loud enough for that in a 20x18 basement room. It wouldn't be enough for most gigs on it's own. 2 might cover small bars. I want to build a second one, but haven't got all the pieces, or time, together to do it yet. Mine is a modified version of duke's 1x10 coffee house rig.

When these things were $75 a piece, it was much easier to consider projects...
    Wes

6. Kimster

Kimster

May 29, 2012
    Hi Wes, I looked at duke´s 1x10 and that was really a smart solution, can´t imaging that you can get a better sounding rig for that kind of money, but as you said, the basslites isn´t $75 any more... I really do like the basslites and I will use the cab when my 1x12 isn´t enough and we do some gigs at private partys and some outdoor. The 1x12 I built is a rather fun project since it also has a power amp inside it so I can go active with it when I use it for jazz guitar (the amp hasn´t enough power for bass). But when I use it for bass I use it passive. It was built to fit beneath my old Polytone mini brute II as an active extension cab but also to be used as a passive cab beneath my Ampeg pf-500 that has the same width as the polytone.

7. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    You should build the second 1x12 if you like it, unless you alrady have the 10s. If you want to sell me a s2010 in good condition, let me know :)

I power mine with a PF-500 or a GK MB-500. Works great.

8. Kimster

Kimster

May 29, 2012
    Yes, maybe I should, but I would like to try a ported enclosure and I don´t think I should put it together with the sealed one that I already got.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If you're doing a 2x, consider the 4ohm result. A 212 would handle most gigs on it's own, the 210 might not. Otherwise do as advised and build a single clone of your current one and stack those.

10. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I don't think the s2010 works well in sealed cabs. Not sure about the s2012. I know the s2010 works really well in 1.1ft ported enclosure.

I wouldn't mind 2 4ohm 2x10 cabs. I would put a dpdt switch in each cab to make it a 4/16 ohm, then connect them together to get them back down to 8ohms with a normal speaker cable. Most amps have enough power to drive 4 s2010s, even at 8 ohms. That, mixed with the single 1x10 that I already have for smaller and IEM gigs would cover all of my basses. :)

If you aren't in love with the s2012, then I wouldn't build another.

11. Kimster

Kimster

May 29, 2012
    I think the s2012 works ok in a sealed box, you get a very tight sound, but you don´t get much power at the bottom. It´s perfect for some occasions but not when you want to go a little deeper. And I wan´t some of that!

12. Kimster

Kimster

May 29, 2012
    Good point, but Wes had a good solution on the 4ohm problem, but as you point out, I would handle most gigs with a 212... Anyone know if it´s a good idea to use two 1x12 cabs, one ported and one sealed? That would be the easiest (and cheapest) way to do this!

13. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    You can always mix, but it wouldn't be optimum. Even if you dont get cancellation due to mixing drivers, one will be louder, and one will handle more power. The sealed will have less output. Im thinking the difference between a sealed s2012 and a ported s2010 would be on favor of the s2010, since those woofers share pretty much the same motor structure and power capabilities.
    If you are building something, build it how you think you will use it 90% of the time.

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    They are matching drivers and would be fine from the lowmids on up, but, when it comes to mixing speakers and what works better than what, mixing a sealed and a ported would do some strange things in the lows...I wouldn't do it.

15. I'm going through a somewhat similar situation, the difference being I have two 1.5 cu ft cabs loaded w/1-10 each (PV drivers). I have the opportunity to upgrade to the S2010, or w/a little modification go for the S2012 by adding a little more volume in the cab, going for almost 2 cu ft each. Both scenarios would be ported.

I'm leaning on going w/the ported S2012 because as Will33 points out you can gig w/that easily, and I'd rather have the extra low end extension of the porting and not need it than the other way around. It's easier on the amp to eq out the bass than add to it since I don't use large (read >300 watts) amps.

16. Kimster

Kimster

May 29, 2012
    Oh, this is fun! It´s great to hear all your ideas and it helps to get a clearer (or more complicated) view of things to consider. More and more I get the feeling that I will build a ported 210. It would cover most of the gigs I play and it would´t be very big. And if I do it with an 4 - 16ohm switch I could always build another if needed.
    Hm... but I do like that the width of the 12" fits perfect beneath the pf-500... I could make the 210 a little wider than needed though...

Next question, the tuning of the port. Is it a good idea to tune it around 50Hz for the basslite s2010?

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The tuning freq. depends on the size of the box, driver excursion capabilities, desired response/rolloff in the lows, etc. That's where your modeling comes in. As a general rule of thumb, I don't like to go higher, or much higher than 50 as you can get into trouble with unloading, bass boosting, etc., especially with a 5 string, or even a 4 if you like a bassy sound. But there is no 1 best number, it depends on the design.

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The series/parallel switch is a nice option if you want to expand on the rig later.

19. Kimster

Kimster

May 29, 2012
    I did some calculations in winisd-online with two s2010 and the optimal enclosure according to winisd was a box of 53.16 liters and an fb of 60.22Hz. What would happen if I tuned the port to 50Hz instead?

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Lowend response/rolloff would decrease some, but you'd prolly gain more real world power handling. 60hz opens up the possibility of unloading below the tuning frequency = fart out quick on the low notes.