Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help with 5 string

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Shaggy98771, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Shaggy98771

Shaggy98771 Guest

May 19, 2003
    Rockford Illinois
    i did a search but got nothing, anyways i need help getting used to a five string any advice, songs, techniques, i just cant seem to get used to the B-string i used to donw tune my 4 string to BEAD and now i got 5 string i cant get used to it any suggestions someone please help :meh:

2. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    how long have you had it? it took about 2 days for me to really get used to it. And what do you mean you need help getting used to it? are you talking about like playing 4 string songs on it or what. if thats the case then i usually rest my thumb on the b string and it feels normal again. And some songs to get used to a 5 with are any mudvayne songs and just play some drop d and c songs on without the downtuning and it should just become as normal as playing a 4.

3. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    check out some Primus. lemme think of some songs they use a 5er in...

Shake Hands with Beef (probably the easiest)
    Bob (much easier on a 6, but not impossible on a 5)
    DMV
    My Name is Mud
    Mrs. Blaileen (again, hard but not impossible without high C)

he either plays a 4 or 6, so i tried to pick ones that have more low B than high C

4. fivestoriesfall

fivestoriesfall

Aug 17, 2005
    Eben D'Amico from Saves The Day switched to a 5-string for their last album, In Reverie. I know most of the songs on that album involve the B string mostly, might want to check that out.

5. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Very important - don't think of it as a four string with this extra low string - think of it as a 5-stringed instrument. This seems obvious, but it's really not.

Start learning your B string by playing stuff that you know up a fourth - utilizing your B for notes that you could easily play on the E. Remember, a B string is not only for playing uber-deep tones, it's for facility, as much as anything else. I just did a gig where I had to play three octaves of G, and didn't even have to change my hand position on my 5. These are all notes that I could have played on a 4, but less efficiently.

6. yeah, try to integrate the B string into your playing by actually playing some notes that you would usually play on the E string but would make you try to "reach" for the note of destination. That way, you waste more energy moving from one note to the next. Less wide movements, less energy used, more resistance time. :D Aside from that, the Notes on the B string have a slightly different tone than the same note played on a different string. Take the case of the E note. The open string E sounds slightly different than the Same note played on the B string (which would be on the 5th fret)... Try to use this to add to the overall timbre of your approach and treatment ot a particular song, or even a particular line. :)

As for getting used to it, well, nothing beats getting it down and dirty. hehehe... I used to tell my students to 'Romance' the necks of their new basses. So that they become comfortable with their new basses, be it 4-5 or 6 stringed. I hope it helps :)

7. elf

elf

Aug 12, 2005
    South Africa
    I started playing bass on a 5-string. (most people were amused by this - I havnt figured out why)

The easiest way to get used to it is to rest your thumb on the low B. Once you can do that start experimenting with using the it for convinience. My best thing is that I don't have to down tune E to the D

I have a big question. Does ANYONE Have tips on slapping on a 5er? I can slap the A and pop the G, but as soon as i try to slap the E the my B rings out and a have trouble getting my finger in to pop the D coz the strings are closer :crying: I think the answer is that im gonna have to get down and practice, but I was wondering if there were any tricks!! ;)

8. OrderingEntropy

OrderingEntropy

Jun 17, 2005
    Well, as for the B ringing out, you just really have to mute it well. It took me a while to get used to having to mute the B, but now it works out just fine. As for the plucking, you're right, all it is, is practice. I till don't have quite the same speed with slap on my 5 that I did on my 4 [I've only had it for 6 weeks], but after time you get faster.

9. Shaggy98771

Shaggy98771 Guest

May 19, 2003
    Rockford Illinois
    ive had it for about a month maybe two i do put my thumb on the b and play from there like stated and such i am getting more used to thank all of you for your help it is very appreciated. :bassist:

10. ryan_adelphi

ryan_adelphi

Aug 21, 2006

no, he definitely didn't. he used fender P's on in reverie, MAYBE a jazz in there somewhere... all songs were tuned down to Eb