1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help with a 410 decision..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BluesOnBass, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Ampeg SVT 410he

46 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Peavey 410TXF

18 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. Avatar B410 with ceramic magnets

37 vote(s)
    36.6%
  1. BluesOnBass

BluesOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Holland, Michigan
    Imagine that you had decided to get a 410, your budget was $300, and the weight of the cab was not an issue. You would be running an Ampeg PF 500 cab. All three are available within your budget. I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these soon, but not sure which one to choose.

Which of the following cabs would you choose and why?

1. Ampeg SVT 410he

Amazon.com: Ampeg SVT-410HE Classic Series 4x10 Bass Enclosure: Musical Instruments

2. Peavey 410TXF

peavey 410txf - 410 bass cabinet | eBay

3. Avatar B410 with the ceramic magnets

Thanks!

2. jthurston

jthurston

Nov 22, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    From that list, I'm inclined toward the Peavey. I've always been able to coax more power and a louder feel from a Peavey, in a dollar-for-dollar comparison. I love Ampeg's tone (ALWAYS), but I can't always afford Ampeg.
    I don't currently play through a Peavey cab, but I've never had any problems with them.

Might also want to consider a Fender Rumble 410 cab:

Fender Rumble 4x10 Bass Guitar Amplifier Cabinet at AmericanMusical.com

They go for about $300 and can handle 1000 watts at 4ohms. I've been gigging on mine for about a year with literally zero issues.

3. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Musicians Friend has the GK MBE 410 for $299.00

4. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    If I only had $300, I'd scour Ebay, Craigslist, and Music Go Round and find a good used Ampeg 410HE or HLF - dependign on what your flavor is. The HE is sealed and will give you a tighter sound, the HLF is ported and puts out a deeper low end. Different strokes for different folks. I've seen good used Ampeg 410's go for around $300, some even less. Either way they should work well with your PF500.

5. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I voted for the Ampeg because I've rocked their cabs for over twenty years, and love them. For a short while though, I did use a Peavey 410TX with decent results, as long as I didn't try to play very loud or use too much power. It struck me as quite "hi-fi" sounding, and could have been my new favorite cab, but IME a GK400RB was too much for it.

6. The only one of those cabinets I have tried was the Ampeg HE. It didn't really cut the mustard to me, but I was looking for a particular sound. I ultimately found a decent buy on a used SWR Goliath III, which has been my absolute favorite 410 cabinet ever since. Having said that I would be surprised if you could find a used Goliath for 300 bucks. Mine was around 500. My second favorite 410 THAT I HAVE OWNED was the Carvin BR 410. I was impressed with this cab being that it was so inexpensive, but it gave me the closet results to the SWR. Also i recommend you try to find something that is 4 OHM, so you get the most from your amp as well. My SWR is the 8 OHM version, so it takes a bit of power to push.

7. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    No Avatar speakers in Sweden so no feedback on those.
    However, the SVT-410HE and Peavey TXF do not have much in common, sound- or designwise, in my opinion. As stated the 410HE is sealed, not much deep bass and needs some power to "wake up". Being an 8 Ohm cabinet, it also calls for a bigger amp to get a certain power out of the amp compared to 4 Ohm designs.
    The Peavey is more modern sounding IMHO - more lows, clearer mids and top.

8. BluesOnBass

Dec 17, 2010
    Holland, Michigan
    Wow - thanks for all the great feedback so far - any other thoughts? Great food for thought on this so far.

To this point, it looks like the Ampeg is pulling ahead in the poll, but that might also be due to the number of people who have had experience with it compared to the others.

Is the 300 watts at 8 ohms from the PF 500 enough to "wake up" the Ampeg? What do people think?

Thanks!

9. BluesOnBass

Dec 17, 2010
    Holland, Michigan
    Thanks to all who have voted so far. Looks like the Ampeg is still the most popular vote, but the Avatar is not far behind.

10. Definitely the svt 410he. It's got that classic ampeg tone.

Edit:
    Any cab can make sound even with 1 watt of power.

11. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm confused. You list your budget as $300 but two of your choices listed are well over that unless you have found them used around $300. If that is the case then of those you listed I would say Ampeg. You might also look at the Carvin BRX cabinets. I have seen them sell used in the $300 range.

12. BluesOnBass

Dec 17, 2010
    Holland, Michigan
    I have found all three within my budget price. I just put in the listings for people to see which cabs I was referring to.

Thanks!

13. BluesOnBass

Dec 17, 2010
    Holland, Michigan
    Would you choose the Carvin BRX over the others listed then?

14. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    The Carvin would be my second choice after the Ampeg cabinet.

15. "The only one of those cabinets I have tried was the Ampeg HE. It didn't really cut the mustard to me, but I was looking for a particular sound. I ultimately found a decent buy on a used SWR Goliath III, which has been my absolute favorite 410 cabinet ever since. Having said that I would be surprised if you could find a used Goliath for 300 bucks. Mine was around 500."

I got a Goliath III on craigslist for $225.00 and got a Goliath II off ebay for $106.00, that was local pickup only. Both in great shape. My favorite cabs.

16. BluesOnBass

Dec 17, 2010
    Holland, Michigan
    "I got a Goliath III on craigslist for $225.00 and got a Goliath II off ebay for $106.00, that was local pickup only. Both in great shape. My favorite cabs."

Nice deals! Nice to know it might be out there. How would you characterize the tones of the two cabs you got?

Thanks!

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My choice would be a ported 4x10.

18. BluesOnBass

Dec 17, 2010
    Holland, Michigan
    In doing some reading on TB re the Goliath (II and III), some seem to be of the opinion that you really need a head that puts out at least 500w at 8 ohms to drive these cabs well. Has that been your experience?

19. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    A 350 watt SWR pro Chromeface drove my goliath II just fine.

20. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    In my opinion that works, tried it, but the more watts the better. Those cabs will give a wider frequency response cleanly the more watts they get.