Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with a 6 string, preferably under 2,000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Jul 23, 2005.

1. OK, so.

I love Warwick Thumb tone, but the neck dive on their 6-strings is just hellish and unfathomable to deal with. I was looking at Modulus Quantums, but note that it needs to be taken to college, and I sure as hell don't like the idea of shlepping a Quantum to college (University of Vermont, I know it's not the number 1 theft college in the country or anything, but still I'd cry if it got jacked). I'm looking for a high-quality 6-er with bright and punchy tone and a solid B-string. I'm not too keen on a custom though. So let's hear it, I'm really open to anything that fits the criteria. I'd also like somewhat wide spacing as well.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    one of the new TRBs? they're like 800$ for the BO.

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'm a bit biased but I really like my Roscoe SKB3006. I've seen used ones sell on ebay for around $1800.00. A used Modulus Q-6 also seems to be selling on ebay for about the same price.
    I'm in the market for a backup to my Roscoe and I've been seriously thinking about a used Peavey Cirrus 6-string. I've seen a few for around $1200.00 on ebay. I've tried a Cirrus-5 locally and I was very impressed with it's sound and feel.

- Art

4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    right now i have a nice ride around ebay in i can see more than 15 6ers in nice price,oh yeah good brands too.

5. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Pedulla Thunderbolt 6 String. You can probably order one from GC new for around 2k, if you haggle well. Or you could pick up a used one on ebay for a steal and pay around half of that.

6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i see two in ebay 15 minutes ago,one in $1700 and another around $1,500

7. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    if you're looking for bright and punchy tone on a six string under 2,000...i would definitely suggest the peavey cirrus. great tone, and its one of the easiest six string necks to play.

also, you could find a used ken smith 6 at right about $2,000...

8. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

If you are bringing it to college, I would definitely go with a used bass. If it gets stolen, you will not have lost as much as purchasing new.

I'm not a fan of Warwick tone, but other alternatives that to me sound similar would include Peavy Cirrus (and in my opinion play much better than Warwicks), Spectors (are they making 6 string basses???), possibly Modulus Quantum (I think the Flee sounds more like a Warwick, but it's not in 6 strings and it's been a while since I played one. I could be wrong about the Flee tone.) How about the Yamahas? I'm not familiar with their tone or cost, but they have a good reputation as far as playability. I've not played one in a long while.

Everyone knows how much I love the Roscoes, but I don't agree with Arthur Poon. The Roscoe sound is very different than a Warwick sound. I'd recommend them to you if you wanted a warmer (more organic) tone than what the Warwick provides.

9. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    My Carvin walks the line between the jazz sound and the Warwick sound very nicely. Maybe an XB76 would do ya, the 35 1/4" scale would give you that nice B.

Of course, if I had $2000+ to spend, I'd get a Pulcinella Level 6 . . . my new GAS.

10. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
  11. I'm sure it's a nice bass, but the singlecuts just don't do it for me.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

13. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    How 'bout the Brice NT 6 stringers? I was curious if those were worth the $500 or so price tag. They look really nice, and if you're worried about someone stealing it at college, it might not be worth spending the 2k on a boutique bass. Just my 2 cents...

14. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    There's a used 6 string in stock on the MPGuitars.com website for $1300. I've checked that bass out several times (web, not in person) but 6 string isn't my thing.

15. Ibanez makes a nice one for around $300, I think. SRX series, if I remember right.

16. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Another huge vote for the Peavey Cirrus!
    I went through the exact same thing. I played a Warwick Thumb bolt on 6 for a while but just got tired of the poor balance. I tried out a Cirrus six and never looked back.
    It's a fantastic instrument for the price and short of "boutique" level basses, its almost impossible to beat for tone, feel, comfort and versatility. I prefered it FAR more than the Warwick.
    Just my experience.
    Good luck chosing!

17. Another vote for a Cirrus.