1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Help With A Chorus Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by yahtzee1280, Oct 1, 2010.

1. ok so... i have a boss chorus and
    it does not work anymore:(
    i tried everything but its fried

sooo

i need help choosing a new chorus, it turns out
    i never really liked the boss chorus,
    it never really had that awesome chorus sound i have sought after

i have found 3 pedals that sound good

but i have no idea if they are good.

THATS where you guys come in

i'll post 2 links if one of them doesn't work
    Markbass CHORUS FLANGER Bass Pedal
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Markbass-Chorus-Flanger-Bass-Pedal?sku=484187

T-Rex Sweeper Bass Chorus Guitar Effects Pedal
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...r-Bass-Chorus-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=501742

AND
    DigiTech XBC Bass Multi Chorus Pedal
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-XBC-Bass-Multi-Chorus-Pedal?sku=150825

ok thats the ones that look good to me
    i need your inputs on if these are good or over priced or a no buy
    AND i know that there are other chorus pedals out there
    i just have no idea how to find and/or know of any other pedals
    so if you know of a better pedal please link
    I don't know of much other brands outside MS soo..

ya any help would be awesome

2. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Did you have the Bass Chorus CEB-3?

I always prefered the BOSS CE-5 (Chorus Ensemble) on bass. It's one of the best chorus pedals I've tried.
    Not that I tried out many chorus pedals.

There is a lot of talk about more expensive (more boutique) chorus pedals that are the great on bass on this forum. (like Visual Sound for example)
    But the Boss CE-5 is cheap and can be found anywhere (new and used).

Sorry, you can't expect the first reply to your question to be perfect. ;)

3. hey any input is helpful,

Thanks for your post

anyone else?

4. I have no opinion on the first two, as I've never tried them. As for the Digitech, I highly recommend that you consider the Digitech Hardwire CR-7 instead. It sounds great, and the price is still reasonable.

5. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Or if you can find a Boss CE-2B, that's one of the only Boss pedals I've liked.

Or Visual Sound Liquid Choruses are decently cheap :)

6. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    the t-rex sweeper is, in fact, good. its my 2nd favourite behind the analogman chorus, which i own and believe is the best out there.

7. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    It also depends on whether or not you want a digital or analog chorus as they can sound very different and you may prefer one sound over another.

8. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    i like the mxr black label chorus

9. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I've owned a XBC Bass Multi Chorus in the past. Great chorus sound, but I totally +1 trying the updated HardWire CR-7 first (unless you find an XBC at a cheap used price). I can't really speak for either of the other two chorii that you mentioned, but I will say that if you're really looking to drop a ton of cash on a chorus like the MarkBass you owe it to yourself to check out an AnalogMan Chorus (either with the depth toggle, or the fixed-deep option). They can be found just about everywhere used (quite often on the classifieds here and even more often over on TheGearPage). It is still the end-all-be-all chorus for me, and that is coming from someone who owned a Bi-Chorus (their flagship chorus model), sold it, replaced it with an Eventide ModFactor (IMHO the epitome of digital chorus, among other modulation things), sold that and replaced it back with a second BiChorus, and then traded it off and replaced it with a fixed-deep mini chorus (their smaller, no-less awesome variant). :D

Links added because I'm nice and there's far less google work for you. ;)

10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you want a good chorus pedal at an affordable price, I personally would recommend the danelectro chorus pedals. the danelectro fab chorus pedal costs only $15 and the danelectro cool cat cc-1 chorus pedal costs $50. both awesome sounding chorus pedals. they work well on bass.

11. When it comes to bass and chorus, for me it pretty much needs to be "in your face" or nothing at all. Which is why I use an EHX Clone Theory. Chorus mode 2 with rate and depth set to 10-11o'clock and it's just perfect. Chorus mode 1 (fixed depth) for a less effected tone for just a hard sparkly edge. Of course the price you pay for such intense tone is the infamous hiss; but depending on what type of music you're playing and/or how you EQ your signal after your pedals, the hiss may be irrelevant.

12. now i play at church mostly and i like a good chorus cause it goes with most of the music we play and just makes the songs sound awesome (cause i dont like lame church music lol) soo anyways

i will deff look into the Analogman pedal and

but right now im kinda wondering if i should order online or not, cause i dont want to drop a arm and leg on a pedal i have never play with or heard

so what im gonna do is go look at my local music store (AND DARE I SAY IT) guitar center and try some out and see if they have any of the pedals mentioned here

thanks for all the awesome reply's

**and i will also ask about the digital and analog cause i really have no idea what the difference is lol**

13. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I totally understand not wanting to purchase a pedal you've never heard or seen before.
    I'm also a church player and I'll totally agree that chorus fits in great. :D

If only you lived closer I'd totally let ya borrow my chorus when I wasn't using it (i.e. weekdays ;)).

14. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    Chorus is a personal thing to some extent. I like my CE-5 with its "icey" digital sound and don't like the Small Clone with its warm analogue sound.

I think the Small Clone sounds too much like an organ bass for what I want to do, but it might be just the thing for church / christian music.

15. mikeldtl

mikeldtl

Oct 23, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Boss CE-2 / CE-3 with the "wet bass mod". Pass those lows un-modulated. The EH small clone is good too.

16. well..... *sigh* my local music store,
    and when i say local i mean the closest music store to me (30min drive)
    only had 1 bass chorus and the display it was on broke
    so i couldn't test anything out....
    the guy even said
    "we have one in the back but we cant take it out of the box"

THANKS MUSIC STORE MAN FOR BEING SO USEFUL... SOO....

no testing for me today looks like i will have to my local Guitar center
    (1hour dive -_-)
    and test their stuff out and hopefully
    it wont be another wasted trip

17. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Of course, you could always just abuse the return policy of your store and purchase the pedal, take it home (or order it online) and return it if it's not what you like. The same goes for buying effects secondhand. You can always sell them again for what you purchased them for. It's the main reason that I've gone through so many different pedals. :D

18. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    Second hand could work. Small Clones always seem to shift pretty fast.

19. ok soo...

i went to GC and before i got there i called them to see if there in the same spot (they have moved 3 times) so i called em and the guys i talked to was all like "OHH YA WE HAVE TONS OF BASS CHORUS PEDALS" and when i got there the "pedal guy" was like, well we dont have any you can try right now:eyebrow::spit::bawl::scowl:
    then he said i could buy one to try it

*** the reason i wanted to try one is so i wouldnt have to return it but ANYWAYS

i bought a Trex sweeper chorus
    it looked good and didn't cost to much
    AND it had the best reveiws for the cost

so it should be here today
    ill plug it in and see how good it is
    it better be awesome or im going to be pissed

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021