1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help with a decision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DeadMike, Apr 11, 2006.

1. DeadMike

DeadMike

May 17, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Ok, so as some of you may have read...a few days ago, I was looking at a Spector Rebop 4-string at GC. Oddly enough, it was mispriced and thus, I could not get it at that time.

Fast forward to today....I decided that it is high time that I do go ahead and pull the trigger, but when I went back, I also noticed a 4-string Stingray at a very similar price point. So, now I'm a bit confused. I know I'm lucky to be in this position, but I want a bass that will last and that I'll be happy with for years to come.

I liked the lightweight body of the Rebop, but I've always been intrigued with the rays. What are your opinions? I'm looking for some honest comparisons. I've read the reviews and owners appear to be happy with both, but I haven't found anyone to make the comparison.

FYI, I'm playing Fender 4-string Jazz basses now (both fretted and fretless), but my back is killing me.

2. I don't think a Stingray is going to do much for your aching back.

3. Just gotta leap in there and play both for a while. I had a choice between a japanese version and a US version of one of my basses. The US looked fantastic, but just didn't sound as good.... My ears won and I still have that bass years later...

Good luck

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    With your back the way it is, I'd pull the trigger on the Spector since it'll be lighter and with the contoured body, the mass of the body will be closer to your body so that'll help.

5. I had a Spector Rebop 5 (35")
    and I still have a MMSR5 (34")

I will say that I find both instruments to sound fantastic. I personally, however, found they each play quite differently.

Aside from the obvious weight difference I found the Spector's string height above the body to be something I could not get used to. The neck was fine, but between where the neck ends and the bridge, there is quite a drop-off leaving lots of room under your fingers.

My Ray, on the other hand, is much heavier - I will admit feeling the strain at the end of a 4 set night. But the string height over the body is much lower and for me more comfortable.

So I think the case of Spector vs. Stingray is a real 'what breed are you' defining contest for a player - Either you are a Spector player or a Ray player - I could not be both. I loved the way my Ray feels. sounds and plays - but I did not love the way my Spector fealt. Even though it was very light and at first brush, I thought this would be a plus - the neck dive and the fact that it was a 35" scale proved to be ultimately uncomfy for me.

NOW, I did have a Rebop FIVE - 35" scale. I can't speak about the playablility or feel of a Rebop FOUR - presumably 34" scale...

Nice to be chosing between two prio basses, though! Good luck!

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I think they are both great basses, but very different animals. I own a 'Ray and am in the market (sorta) for a Spector Euro so I'd have to go with both. :D

But if your back is killing you, a Stingray will make that worse. Spectors are very comfortable basses to me, and 'Rays are pretty bulky.

7. DeadMike

DeadMike

May 17, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    I'm leaning towards the Spector. Besides the light weight, I'm digging the contoured back, the pickups and the fact that I can get all the way up to the 24 fret easily. There is a Rebop 5 sitting there too. I don't know....I guess I've got a lot of work ahead of me.