1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Help With a Double Neck Build: Wiring

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Max Pratt, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Max Pratt

Max Pratt

Mar 10, 2011
    Ok so a build I am working on at the moment has a very odd arrangement of pickups and two necks, and therefore has wiring that is a bit strange.

Ok so it will look like this; A 3 pickup guitar, and a 2 pickup guitar, 4 knobs: a vol and tone for each guitar, a 3 way switch for the two pickup guitar, a 5 way switch for the three pickup guitar, and finally a 3 way On/On/On for selecting which neck to use.

The actual wiring of each guitar independently should not be too difficult, it is connecting them to one jack through a 3 way switch that worries me. I have a lot of experience wiring instruments, but this is definitely the most complicated thing I have done so far. So, any help you could give would be STELLAR.

:hyper::bassist::hyper:

Max Pratt

2. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    What exactly do you have a problem with? Just as you'd wire hot and ground from a pickup, pot or tone to a 3 way switch, you're supposed to wire two separate guitar systems to one output jack.

Also, I'd advise you to put three outs on the guitar, it'd be way more useful in a multi rig setup if you have/use one. So basically, just wire guitars independently to their own output jack, then continue wire from output jacks to a central output jack, but through a 3 way switch.

3. Max Pratt

Max Pratt

Mar 10, 2011
    I did think about that, and in fact I left an empty jack plate on the guitar in case we ever wanted to add more outputs, however the client only requested one and he only ever uses one amp so it would be unnecessary. Maybe I will drill for a third jack and add a plate just for kicks, but I am pretty sure he doesn't want to run any more money on another switch, two more jacks, and a plate. Thanks a bunch, my question was really whether or not I could just wire it to the three way switch like a normal 6 pin switch and then to the output jack.

Thanks again,

Max Pratt

4. if you're keeping it to one out put jack then just wire each guitar output to one side of a standard guitar 3-way switch and the middle lug is your output, simple as any other 3 way switch.

5. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Yup. Had a bass like that - just volume and a 3-way switch - and this is exactly how the switch was wired. Just pretend one neck is a neck pickup and the other a bridge pickup, and wire it like a pickup switch.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Won't there be problems with loading when there is that many pickups connected together, though? In a worst case scenario you will be running five pickups in paralell.

Oh, and i now hate you a bit. Now i want a double neck bass/guitar... :meh:

I really can't play neither, but i may have to build one anyway. :smug: