Need help with a student...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Duke of Prunes, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Duke of Prunes

Duke of Prunes Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Southborough, MA
    I've never really taught anyone anything before and now I have a bass student. He's been playing for quite some time, so he has pretty good technique, but he doesn't know how to read musicvery well. He'd also like to build speed in both hands and eventually improve his slapping skills. Does anyone have any suggestions/examples/exercises I could use? I'm thinking I should just start with the diatonic scale from low E to high C, note values then work in some basic theory like sharps, flats, etc. I'm not quite sure how I should approach it, though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    You say he's been playing for quite some time, so how long is that actually? And what does he already know? This greatly helps in determining where to advance to next.

For site-reading, you can buy a book like "Note Reading Studies For Bass" and work through it with him. Also give him some 'pop quizzes' - this is what my teacher does: Puts a piece of sheet music in front of me, let's me peruse it for about a minute, then sees how I do playing it.

Yes, have your student learn his scales. Have him do scale runs in 2 octaves up and down the fretboard. Do it with a metronome. This is valuable in so many ways.
  3. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    Sight reading for bass by Velosky is also a great music reading resource. My bass instructor swears by it.