Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help with a tab

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Jay61581, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Jay61581

Jay61581

Aug 7, 2002
    Nucla Colorado
    Anyways Im new here, be nice to the noob...

Ok so my friend that writes our songs was playing this for me when we were jamming... And i cannot for the life of me figure out a bassline for it.

Heres the chords...
    --0---0---0---0---
    --0---0---0---0---
    --1---6---8---6---
    --2---7---9---7---
    --2---7---9---7---
    --0---0---0---0---

see, it starts out as an E chord, then he just moves it up the neck, but at the same time still playing all the strings.

Ive only been playing for about 2 years, so I dont quite have all this figured out yet.

Any help?

Oh yeah, I aint that good so try to figure something out thats fairly simple...:D

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Ok it's an E A B A progression but the open strings given an altered root plus two drones (B and E) so the A chord becomes an A9/E and the B chord a Bsus4/E.

Chords like these are known as slash chords cos they have tada a slash.

You can do an infinite (my sublime joke) number of things around this but here are the standard ones...

You can just play the E this is known as a pedal.

You can follow the EABA sequence like a faithful puppy

You can play a riff based in E whilst Mr Poodlepermandleathertrousers does his thing. I came up with an E A B riff underneath the sequence.

3. just play the E A B A notes and start messing around with it until you get something you like.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Wow, someone has dealt with some really cool guitarists in his day. ;)

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I'm showing my age really, most guitarists I meet now wear shorts to their knees and tune as low as I do. BTW they are usually the same age as my daughter :eek:

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    One thing you can do is experiment using different notes out of the vertical slice being played by the guitarist. For example, the first chord was:

--0--
    --0--
    --1--
    --2--
    --2--
    --0--

Assuming you're playing a four string bass, any of the notes:

--1--
    --2--
    --2--
    --0--

would work - and then pick another note from the next slice and so on. However, without wishing to break the rules of the Tab forum, it would be best to start to understand them as notes rather than specific positions on the fretboard - that way you can make much better use of the potential of the neck. For example, here's the same notes for a bass line that could go under that intial E chord. Firstly, using the same postion as the guitar:

G-|-----------1-----|-2...
    D-|-----------------|--...
    A-|-----------------|--...
    E-|-0-0-------------|--...

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
        e q.    r q   r

However, I'd probably play it as:

G-|-----------------|--...
    D-|-----------6-----|-7...
    A-|-----------------|--...
    E-|-0-0-------------|--...

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
        e q.    r q   r

It's still hitting E twice, then jumping to G# (major tenth), leading up a semitone to A (for the A chord) but will have a different tonal quality. Try it and see.

Tab is a useful way of showing where the notes are played - that's one of it's strengths over standard notation - but though it's a short cut to seeing how a particular song was played, it's (IMHO) an obstacle to understanding how the song fits together and building new elements to fit along with guitar chords, etc.

Wulf

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Interesting...

Hello Wulf-I'll send you a PM on another matter

Another thing you can do with a sequence is play the root notes (in this case EAB) but add another note passing note thats common to each chord (in this case a B)

8. Jay61581

Jay61581

Aug 7, 2002
    Nucla Colorado
    hey thanks for all the help everyone...

Ill study this matter when im not asleep tomorrow, but most of what you said i dont understand, but im working on it:p

9. Jay61581

Jay61581

Aug 7, 2002
    Nucla Colorado
    yeah really, im a dufus...I can read tab, thats all. I really need to learn something about notes and whatnot so I understand, ill probably get a book or some videos

10. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    No you are not a dufus. Any reading system without a little bit of knowledge will turn you into a juke box.

Here's a C maj scale

CDEFGABC no sharps and no flats

------245-----
    --235---------
    35------------
    --------------

now move that whole pattern around the finger board and youve got major scale in any key you start at (two frets up is D major another two up is E major)

------689----
    --679--------
    79-----------
    -------------

E F# G# A B C# D# E

There are other ways of playing these scales but that is the most simplest (to write anyway)

We are drifting off tabs so I'll stop there.

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Maybe we should have a thread on moving from Tab to standard notation. If it works on the premise that the two systems can live side by side but that some people learn Tab and then get stuck at the divide between the two, I think it might be appropriate for this forum.

The point would be to discuss and understand what tab is good for and bad for - not to knock tab; just to understand it's boundaries.:cool:

Whaddy'all think?

Wulf

12. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    As this is OT I have sent you a PM