Need help with a vintage Fender neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Broke, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    Well it's a reproduction of a vintage neck. I have the "Sting" bass which I think is a copy of the Fender 57 single coil. The neck has the truss rod nut on the heel. When I got the bass the neck wasn't straight and the nut was screwed in kind of deep (maxed out). I bought a new nut, reamed it out and cut it basically making a spacer. That has worked for getting the nut back up near the end of the wood. So now how far down should I tighten? Am I good to crank it or just baby step it day by day?

2. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    1/4 turn... per day

3. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    Thanks. I'll do that

rufus.K likes this.
  4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Nuts. Adjust the neck to where you need it TODAY. you may need a tweak or two after a day or two but this 1/4 a day is absolute nonsense as has been said here many times by professionals.

Matt R., 202dy, Gluvhand and 4 others like this.
  5. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    What 96Tbird said. Adjust as needed.

JLS likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah more "extreme" adjustments are fine to an extent. Just understand that it might "settle" after such an adjustment so you may have to go back and do small adjustments afterwards a couple times.

RSBBass likes this.
  7. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    I really have all the time in the world on this one because I have another neck that I use as my daily. I'll take my time and see what happens. I just hope the neck shapes and I can get the action low enough. Before I couldn't.

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Well if you need to tighten it a lot, clamp it so the truss nut isn't doing all the work. watch this.

JLS, Willicious and RSBBass like this.
  9. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Why? What purpose does this serve?

10. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    This neck is the original sting neck with the inlay at the 12th fret. If I ever sell I will sell with 2 necks. Original and the one I play.

11. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    What purpose is served by stringing out the time to perform the repair?

12. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    Nothing. I'm inherently lazy and I have another neck already

13. neckdive

neckdive

Oct 11, 2013
    I think what everyone is saying is that a full turn takes about 3 seconds longer than 1\4 turn. If you're lazy do it all at once and be done with it.

bolophonic likes this.
  14. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    I'm all for adjusting the truss rod to where it needs to be, but I have a couple basses that if I adjust a significant amount today, they will need opposite adjustment tomorrow. It all depends on how much they need to be adjusted. I think others have experienced this phenomenon, which is why they advise small increment adjustments. I've learned to do the small increment adjustments on those basses that tend to "keep moving" after adjustment. It's easier to slowly approach the correct relief than adjust past it two or three times. Strangely enough, the bass I have that is the worst for continuing to move after adjustment has a graphite neck.

15. neckdive

neckdive

Oct 11, 2013
    That's very different.

I think some people subscribe to the tiny incremental method because they think the wood is so fragile it will crack unless done in minute amounts per day, as if the wood somehow 'heals itself' in between daily adjustments.

16. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    An exception to a method of repair is no reason to rewrite the protocol. Furthermore, recommending it only serves to spread misinformation. That supports the myths that have been debunked.

Not recommended. And not right.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021