Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help With A Windows Problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ok, I'm not sure how this happened, but as of today there's a glitch in my Internet Properties. I keep Hotmail set as my homepage, so whenever I open IE it goes to Hotmail. Now, every time after it goes to Hotmail, it changes the set homepage in the Internet Properties to http://www.search-space.com . I've deleted all the cookies I've found and everything, but it still happens. Whenever I reset the homepage back to Hotmail and then click on IE, bam, it goes back to SearchSpace (which I've never even heard of). If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Happened to my friend too. Any one?

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    sounds kind of like spyware maybe...I'm not very experienced with this stuff(don't need to be) but From what I understand

adaware is a good program to get rid of any spywares

maybe the google toolbar might help.

this was happening on my friends PC too.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Do you mean this?

http://www.computercops.biz/postt6514.html

5. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Toronto
    Yeah, those stupid advertising idiots...
    Simply open IE, click tools at the top, scroll down to the bottom to Internet Options..., and your homepage will be highlighted. Hit delete or back space and type in the site you want.

Edit: Opps, i didnt finish reading your post...
    This solution is very simple, wipe your computer.

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This doesn't work with this hack. It'll come back.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yup. I've used AdAware, Spybot, and something called HijackThis, but I still can't get rid of it. I don't fully understand what the user in your posted thread is saying to do to eliminate the problem-I've looked in the Fonts folder and no MSOffice.hta is there.

8. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You need to set up explorer to display hidden files.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's set up to view them, but PROBLEM SOLVED anyways. I tried HijackThis again and this time deleted ALL of the possible problems, and it went away for good. Anyone who has the problem can download this tiny program from download.com. Thanks to everyone, especially JMX-your link listed the HijackThis program to get rid of the problem. Thanks again!

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    maybe you should use mozilla :p

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The only real solution to IE problems... not using IE. :)

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

fixed it for you :D