Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help with a work out plan. HELP!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by UrbanAssault415, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Im 6ft about 155lbs. Ive been working out for over a year and I got very little to no results. I want to bulk-up. my free weight techniqe is not very well so i use the machines. Most people say that free-weight is better but my elbow and wrist aint well, so if i dont do it perfect they start bothering me. SOOO i want to know if any of you can lead me to a website that show/explain free-weight tech also a good plain(preferably a mix between free-weight+ machines). I can get to the gym about 3-4 times a week.thx

p.s. should i take a wieght gainer to help the process abit? Is it considered a steroid?

2. I would ask someone at your gym to help you with your technique, whether it be an employee, or the big buff sweaty guy next to you, most of the time they won't mind.

Most wieght gainers aren't considered steroids, just shakes that are pretty much pure protein, and don't taste good at all. Whey Fuel or something like that is a good one I believe.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    In most cases, a sensible diet focused on giving your body the nutrients needed to grow muscle is adequate. I firmly believe that the only people who need to be on supplements are the hard core body builders, and professionals. The rest of us are just spending alot of money to create some really expensive urine. :D

I realize that comment may start a debate, but oh well. I have lifted weights for the better part of 19 years, and have never taken any kind of supplement. I've gained muscle weight, and I've lost it no problem when I listen to my body and adjust my eating habits to meet my goals.

-Mike

4. A cousin of mine, High level skiier in France was doing a strange but useful preparation to gain a lot of muscles quickly and in an healthy way!

He was eating 4 times a day a dinner consisting of:
    -Chicken
    -Eggs
    -Pasta
    And a last thing, don't remember, nevermind!

And doing two hard musculation sessions, he gained 5-10 kilos of muscles in about two weeks!
    No proteins, no steroids....

Vince

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I agree that you can gain muscle without proteinshakes and other assorted stuff. Watch you diet and exercise.
    Also, don't overdo it. Especially when using weights it's easy to injure yourself while trying to cross your boundaries, and freeweight-injuries tend to be nasty.

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    If you want to bulk up, you have to adjust your eating habits as well as your workout routine. You can build muscle normally without a ton of changes, but to really start packing it on, you have to eat a lot more (but in particular, healthy ways which I'm less familiar with... others will be of more help in this regard than me). As far as working out, you need to push yourself, and that means fewer reps of more weight. Doing more reps of lighter weights will tone the muscle you already have, and not add much more. I would consult a fitness expert, who can help tailor a workout/dietary routine to you personally.

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Peter Squire should have some good advice for you.

8. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Get Rock

Pick Up Rock.

Drop Rock.

Pick Up Rock Again.

Beat on Chest as felt needed.

9. Exploreforever

Exploreforever

Aug 24, 2005
    Deadlifts.

Learn to do them properly so that you don't cause yourself pain, and learn to love them.

10. Exploreforever

Exploreforever

Aug 24, 2005
    oh yeah I should add that gaining muscle and losing fat is 90% in the eating habits

11. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Too true.

Losing weight, gaining muscle, whatever you want to do, is so strongly tied to your diet and nutrition. You can have the best workout routine in existance but if you are not giving your body what it needs you will see hardly any results.

12. Thx for all the info but I need more..sorry. Let me explain

My diet is mostly Protien to begin with(chicken, beef, pasta(i dont think its protien but someone mentioned it).

As far as the lifting more weight with less reps, I tried that on machines and it felt like i didnt do anything at all in about 10min after I was done but I guess it would work better with free-weight because you have to control your motion.

And what is deadlifting?

Any web-site that could help me with my free-weight tech. would be good because I think free-weights is the only thing that will get me to my goal at this point.

Thx again all

13. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    bodybuilding.com

Decent forum - can get a bit "tabcrawler-ish" at times, but fairly decent all the same.

14. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    My Email addy is buzzbass@earthlink.net. I started at 155 lbs @ 27 yrs old (late bloomer here). I'm now 43, 5' 10", 235 lbs @ 11% bodyfat. No drugs ever, just lots of training & eating. I know what works for me and it has helped numerous other people who have asked. It's just too much to discuss here, but I'd be willing to help. Where are you from ?

15. UrbanAssault, how old are you? I used to have the same problem, but it was due to my young hyper-metabolism. I'm 19 right now and am finally starting to put on some weight.

16. I e-mailed you buzzbass hope to hear from you.

Im 18 Davidoc.