1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Help with amp confusion. Purchasing first real amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PurplePurple, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Ok as it stands now I have about $1,000. I play with 2 guitarists (at 150 watts each) and a loud drummer. So I would need about 600 watts coorrect? I was thinking 410's would probobally be my most efficent cab. Due too simply getting a 4 ohm 410 cab and not worry that much about wiring it correctly ect. So this is where I get too my problem. It seams that 4 ohm cabs that can handel atleast 600 watts are expencive. I can get more money so it's not that big of a worry for me. I was originally thinking about getting an
    ampeg-3 pro head and an ampeg svt410 hlf cab. They would be paired correctly with 4 ohms each. The problem is that the head only has about 450 watts of tube power and thus wouldn't sufficnetly power it, correct? I have herd it is better too have a head that over powers the speakers then one that underpowers them.
    So I looked at the Gallien Kruger 1001RB head. I like it's features and I can afford it and a good cab aswell. It's just that I would be overpowering the ampeg cab if i got it. I dont know how bad a problem that is. I was thinking about getting a Gallien Krueger 410RBH/4 instead. I would however be under powering that one though.
    I don't like the SWR hi-fi tone otherwise i would look at them. Their isn't a trace elliot or genz benz or aguilar dealer in my state.

Also Avatar dosn't ship too Alaska. I could have them ship one too a relative and then up too me but I would spend more on shipping then the actuall amp i fear.

I can get more money, but it will be slow. I eventually could purchase an eden if I wanted too. I would just be absent from any band or giging activity for a few years. I just want too be herd and be able too hear myself. What should I do? I could get a job, but I would have too wait until about July befor I could and that still doesn't solve my delima of what I should try and purchase.

Also if it helps I am looking for basically an amp that has punch with alot of midrange toneally.

Thank you for reading my post.

Also I have herd that I should be very werry of used amps. Is that true?

EDIT: I should have put first real gig amp. I already have a few things like a fender bassman 150 that I use for home practice and can be herd during band practice, not so much during shows.

2. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Both of those suggested rigs would be fine, the SVT-3 would be plenty loud enough, though the GK would have a more midsy tone. Only concern is that with a 4 ohm cab you have no room for adding more speakers. And if you only got an 8 ohm cab it would not be as loud.

Have a browse for local used stuff, you should be wary but there are some decent deals around! Take someone who knows their stuff with you if you're not sure.

3. check out the carvin BRX's.

they have nice setups that you can buy in packages.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    A few things:
    The 3-Pro isn't all tube. It puts out 450 watts (I find this a bit underpowered for most of the shows I have played with it backline). The cab wattage rating isn't too important; use your ears live to make sure you are not putting too much stress on the cab and making it fart. Also, the GK and Ampeg have very different tones. You can mix and match cabs also, and may find the best sound that way. And it may well be worth it to save up and get something if it sounds better to your ears and is louder. And just because SWR is known for being hi-fi doesn't mean you shouldn't try em out, especially with heads/cabs of another brand. With the wattage you need, its subjective. 600 is a good number to shoot for, but see if your store has a 30 day satisfaction guarentee and try a show with some of the gear to see if it is loud enough.