need HELP with amp settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer1221, Feb 9, 2005.

1. bassplayer1221

Feb 9, 2005
    :help: I just got a new amp but i just cant get it to sound exactly how i want. It is am ampeg b2r head and a gallien kreuger 4x10 cab. I was wondering what would be the best setting for the graphic eq, i have a lot of trouble with it. My band plays in drop d tuning a lot so i have trouble making the tone stay punchy and clear. please anyone help
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    There's no "one best setting" with any amp. Its all personal tone preference, and interaction between the different heads, cabs, and basses that are used, including the room acoustics.

Need more info. What bass are you playing, pickups, strings. What settings are you trying that you are unhappy with? Give us an example of the kind of tone you are searching for. Not every amp can get every tone, not every cab can get every tone. Tell us everything you can, we'd be glad to help.
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Sounds like at a minimum you may want to boost the mids on the eq. I can't remember what options the B2R has (mid-shift, solo, etc?). This should help with the mids but also may make your low notes (especially low D) sound a bit softer. Hopefully somebody with your head can help. What type of music do you play? My guess is you play hard rock or punk?
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Start with the EQ totally flat. Boost the signals you feel are lacking in your tone. Ease up on the lows so you don't get all boomy. It would be good to do this on your own time so your band isn't standing around waiting all night for you. may be a good idea to have your guitar player over when you work on your EQ settings. Make sure the two of you aren't trying to boost the same freq's. He needs to learn to stay in his range, as do you.