Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help With Amp Setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Apr 20, 2005.

1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey guys. I have a SWR Workingman's 4004 head with a SWR Workingman's 4x10T cab and i was wondering if it would be stupid to get a tube preamp for my rig.

I know the rig needs a little more warmth and was wondering if the tube preamp would do the trick or if i need a power amp to pull that off. I'm an intermediate player but i just got the rig so i don't know a lot about the whole amp thing.

Or would it just be worth it to start over and get a tube ampeg rig or something?

2. a tube preamp would help. you cant beat an all tube power section though.......i would say to start over. get a rack case or build one (8U or so) and load it up with stuff, you got your amp, get a power conditioner, maybe a 31 band eq, i would like to have a tube preamp in any big stack i have anyway. get a good tube preamp cause you can use it forever.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Maybe try a Sansamp Bass DDI box? About $150 over in US I think, i've heard they can warm up a sound quite nicely, specially SWR..