Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with Ampeg amp!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bloodfist, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Bloodfist

Bloodfist

Mar 18, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    I recently bought an older Ampeg SVTIII Pro head, and a new Ampeg 410-HLF cabinet. I'm having problems with my higher notes coming through with a tad bit of distortion. Anyone have any clues why this is happening or had the same thing happen to them. Any input would be greatley appreciated!

2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I set mine to drive/distort just a bit... but that's pretty much accross the the entire range of the instrument, not just the high notes. I'd look at the instrument first. Are the pickups closer to the strings on the treble side? Second, I'd look at the EQ settings, are you boosting the frequencies that are distorting? After that... well I'm out of ideas. Good luck.

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    What are your settings? How old are the tubes?

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Gain cranked?

5. Bloodfist

Bloodfist

Mar 18, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    I have no idea how old the tubes are and the gain isnt cranked. I really don't have the bass in it turned up because im in an apartment, but all the low notes are great sounding. I'm starting to think either my pickups need some looking into or I'm not letting the tubes heat up enough

6. nls666

nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Maybe it's the horn from the cabinet? Check the horn level control on the back of the cabinet...

7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Could be the tube drive, set it full.

Could be the horn in the cabinet, although new, I don't think so.

Could be that the 3PRO could use a bias adjustment. Sometimes they drift over time.

Might be something else entirely and the horn is showing it up because it is in the highs.

8. Does you bass have active pups? If so make sure you engage the -15db switch on the SVT. I had the exact same issue with my MMSR5 and my SVT II Pro - once that -15db switch was engaged, all unwanted distortion went away. And I say, "unwanted" because I can still achieve a great, "tube distortion" via gain and drive.

BTW Jerrold - you guys at SLM are great! Helped me tons with my amp. And I think I can see your shop on Borman from here in the Centerpoint building! As a matter of fact, I just looked over that way and I can definietly see that shop from here. LOL

Another aside for Jerrold - I really need to recover my 810e - it has gone through hell and back and the tolex is completely shredded. Any recommendations? I have heard of a certain paint or even using truck-bed liner - and of course, simply replacing the tolex... but I have no experience at all with this... any suggestions or advice?

--tz

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Tolex is, as you say, the obvious solution, although not as easy as it looks to do a good job.

"Rat fur" (Ozite) is uglyish, but tough. Not easy to do either, harder than Tolex.

Spray-on bedliner, well, it can look good, but if done badly it looks like heck, and won't come off......

So I dunno. I'd probably tolex it again, after stripping and sanding.

Or, of course, trimming off the loose areas and getting some black paint.......... :D

Where is the Centerpoint building? I know I must have seen it, but I can't recall which it is.
    If you see a blue Chevy truck with a camper shell over here, it's probably me.

10. Bloodfist

Bloodfist

Mar 18, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Ok all is fixed, turns out it was my horn that was about to take a dump. Still had 1 day left in my 30 day return policy so took it back and got another new cabinet. Now everythings peachy. Thanks alot guys for all your input so quick!

11. Jerrold - thanks for the tolex tips - that is what I figured. I will need to find a friend who has some experience with this and get help. A bunch of my friends used to work at SLM - back in the day... I am sure they may remember their tolexing skills...

Centerpoint building is that big old Blue and Gray building that overlooks Hooters - From my window I can see both SLM and Hooters - best of both worlds, huh?

BTW - SORRY FOR HIJACKING THE THREAD...

12. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I had the same rig once upon a time and similar problems. One time the problem was dust in the tweeter, easily fixed with a good clean. Second time I believe it may have been the bias drift that Jerrold mentioned. Symptoms with mine were that the distortion was particularly noticable on notes above the 10th fret or so. The distortion was there with any cab and also when pluging an active bass directly into the effect return (ie bypassing the preamp). Couldn't get it repaired satisfactorily & had to let it go.

13. Bloodfist

Bloodfist

Mar 18, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Jerald, what is a bias adjutment and how would I go about getting that done?