Need help with Ampeg SVT-3 PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greensyn, Oct 31, 2002.

1. greensyn

Sep 15, 2002
    I bought my Ampeg SVT-3 off Ebay about a month ago. It was used, with no reported problems. I just recieved my Avatar 4x10 and hooked it all up. Playing out of a Peavey Cirrus with new batteries I encountered some problems in the sound.
    At many volumes and pitches, the sound is distorted, almost as if there's a second sound coming out of the speakers. I'll admit when I first plugged it in, it was going kind of loud. But the head is running 275 watts (@8 ohms) into a cabinet that has an RMS of 1200, so I don't think it would blow :)
    I'm guessing the problem lies with the amp. I've heard of the legendary distortion problems of Ampeg tubes and all that.
    I was hoping for some feedback and suggestions on how I can problem shoot and fix the distortion.

2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Do a search on this subject and you will find that it has been discussed at length. In short, there is probably nothing wrong with your amp. That's the normal tone for the SVT3 pro.
  3. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Yup, thought I was nuts for noticing it too! Still sounds wonderful and I can't hear the "noise" in a band context. Mine sounded like a blown horn diaphragm. I was surprised to discover it was coming from the power amp section...not the preamp.

4. My dad has a pro 3 and he is running through a PV 2x10 rated at 175 watts (the amp is 450) and he has no problem with distortion, and he plays pretty loud.
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Is that cab an 8 ohm cab? I didn't notice the distortion until I ran a 4 ohm load. Again do a search and you will get lots of info on this. Not saying this is a bad thing, just the way the amp sounds. If you like it, keep playing through it.
  6. When I had my SVT3-Pro i ran two 8ohm cabs (4 ohm load) and never had any distortion sounding problems. I don't think its correct to assume this is the 'right' sound for this amp. I thought it was underpowered, but the sound was ok . Maybe you should try replacing the tubes first ....
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Try it with a different cab........I have a SVT3 and it sounds good with some cabs......but with others requiring more juice[Acme]......not so hot.
  8. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I used 2 Bag end 15 cabs, Ampeg cabs, Carvin cabs, Hartke cabs and had the same tone with all. Pretty wide range of cabs. I had the Ampeg tech check it out, it fried in the shop during this process. :D Had Ampeg send a new one "in the box". same sound. I assumed this was the "tube" sound that I was not used to hearing having used SS amps all my life. So I traded the 2nd 3pro back in on a B4r and couldn't be happier. nice clean punchy tone with no distortion. (unless I push in the "texture button which does get a nice distortion to it) Once again not saying it sounded bad, I just don't want distortion all the time. I could not get a clean tone with a sharp attack to it from that amp.
  9. Nope 4 ohms.