Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help with amplifiying my bass

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by JoelEoM, May 18, 2002.

1. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    hi, ive posted a good bit over in BG, but this is my first time in DB. heres my problem - ive got a wedding gig coming up, and it calls for some DB. since i dont own one, i borrowed one from my old highschool, along with a fishman BP-100 pickup. my only forms of amplification are a hartke 2000 head, with either a hartke 2.5XL(210s, 5" midrange) or a vintage ampeg V-4B(215s). im having a lot of trouble getting a good even tone using either cabinet, and if you guys could give me any pointers here, that would be great(aside from a new rig:D). i have the transducers placed 1/8th inch from the top of the bridge, as per instructions, if that helps any. if you need me to further clarify anything, just say so. thanks guys:)

2. I see two things here. One, You borrowed a high school bass. ( Which are for the most part,famous for their high quality, great response, and wonderful string quality.) :rolleyes: Second you are using a fishman, but you don't mention any sort of pre-amp or blender. I have personally found a few things out based on my experience with the fishman. One, you have to EQ the hell out of them to get a decent sound, and, if the transducers are not flush against the bridge, you will lose sound quality. I used to use a sadowski preamp, and that seemed to help, but It does take some experimentation to find a good placement for the plates, personally I would back off a bit more than 1/8 inch.

3. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    thanks:) and ditto on the bass:D although it actually does have new strings and decent action. i made sure i got the best one of all the basses there(the school has almost a dozen)
    im not using a preamp or blender of any sort, although i might be able to get ahold of a hughes and kettner from the studio....and youre right, i was eq-ing like crazy..but still no decent sound. as far as the transducers, its definitely flush with the bridge, and ill try backing off a little bit more. i think im finding some of my problem lies in the fact that im not used to hearing urb's amplified, and the only sound i have for reference is my flatwound-strung P:)

4. Sometimes the Fishmans do better mounted on the other side of the bridge. A buffer preamp is virtually a necessity with a Fishman too. You'll probably do better with the quicker response of the 2x10. Set the master volume all the way up and control the volume with the channel volume. EQ out the mid lows.

5. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    thanks pete:) ill definitely try moving the transducers to the other side, and cutting the low-mids. as for a pre, thats still iffy, so im trying to make this work the best way possible with the gear i have. thanks again guys, keep em coming

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    JOBIM,

Fishmans are famous for not being a good match for most amps without a preamp, and also for being very treble happy. Not to say thin....:rolleyes:

But another big question here is what kind of sound are you getting from the bass to begin with? The DB amplification ideal - which only ever seems to happen at relatively low volumes - is to get a sound that sounds just like your bass. Are you happy with that sound before it ever gets to the pickup?

7. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i do like the sound im getting unamplified, but im not sure how to describe it....my main problem right now is actually having way too much bass, ive tried EQing it out, and nothing seems to help(preamp, anyone?) i can cut the highs, and be happy with the sound coming from the upper sound spectrum, but the lows and low mids are killing me, it just gets really boomy, with either cabinet, and feedback is near impossible to control. ill try to get that hughes&kettner today, and see if it helps. thanks again, and btw, you guys are SO much more help over here than in BG:)

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    BILLYJOEL_DoA,

Sounds like you need both a preamp and an EQ box of some sort. Back when I was using lesser pickups, I had a parametric EQ on board the amp and a 7 band graphic EQ stomp box in the front end. The most common places for the trouble spots on the pups I was using were a midrange woof at about 650-800 Hz and anything below 150 Hz. When I would cut these, the sound would clean up quite a bit.

9. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    thanks for all the help guys:)
    i picked up a hughes and kettner fortress last night at the studio, its what he had lying around, so we'll see how that works out. i dont have time tonight to test it, i have to work, but tomorrow i definitely will. i also tried the suggestion of moving the transducers to the other side of the bridge, and that helped A LOT. i have to work my amp a little harder for it however, but thats ok, no feedback is a good thing. ill let you guys know how the preamp works out.

10. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    well, we had the wedding rehearsal tonight, and everything went very smoothly. i feel ive gotten a *good* sound from this setup(hartke 2000, 2.5XL, h&k fortress, fishman, and the half decent urb) i moved the transducers back to the top of the bridge. my graphic on the hartke is cut WAY down, most of the sliders are around the -13 or -14 db mark, and some of the mids are boosted just a little bit higher than that. ive got the tone problem figured out, but right as i got that solved, and felt happy about it, my speakers decided to start breaking up. not normal distortion or amp clipping either. im of the opinion they may need reconed, or else the voice coils are damaged(the cab has been dropped before, recently) and if i let the speakers sit for a few minutes, then theyre fine again. go figure. anyway, just wanted to say everything worked out fine, thanks for all your help guys:)