Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with an amp/cabinet choice !!!!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by DaveB, Apr 10, 2003.

1. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I think I've got this narrowed down to three alternatives for my URB.

Here's the scenario - URB gigs in small/medium/large clubs/pubs - Jazz Standards with singer, guitar (archtop electric), drums (occasionally piano). This will be primarily URB only but IF all other things are equal using the URB gear with my electrics is a nice flexibility.

Alt 1 - Use my current amp (Eden WT-500 with a Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass - with the Fishman plugged into the effects return thus negating the Eden EQ). Use this with a Euphonic Audio CXL 12.

Alt 2 - Current amp with EA CXL 10

Alt 3 - AI Contra

I also considered a Clarus with one of the EA cabinets but I've been pretty impressed by the clarity of the EQ bypassed Eden so I, so far, have discounted that alternative.

If you like Alt 1 or 2 - why the 10 over the 12 or vice versa? I realize that the EA 12 would be a better doubling cabinet but again that's only a factor if all other URB things remain equal.

Thanks

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    HAVE B, WILL TRAVEL,

I have no experience with the CXL 110 aside from hearing an iamp combo last summer for about 10 minutes. But I'd go with the CXL112 and the Eden head for versatility. I think the Eden pre adds more color than I care for on DB, but if you're used to dealing with it, it probably won't bother you much. The AI Contra WILL bottom out on Plank if you push it too hard (or if you use the low B much). When I was trying to decide between the EA 10" and 12" cabs, everyone I talked to tried to steer me toward the 12's. I finally bought one, and have been very happy with it, especially for doubling gigs. Before I had my EA iamp 800, I auditioned the an Eden WT 1000 with DB through the CXL 112, and it sounded great. If the 500 sounds anything like that. I'd think it would be a great combination. Good luck.

3. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Chris - Thanks for your input. I agree with you completely on the Eden coloration of a DB. Eden color is great on electric but not so on DB. In fact if I hadn't been able to bypass the Eden EQ and use the Pro-EQ Bass I would have zeroed in on a situation that included a Clarus. The CXL 112 is looking better all the time.