Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with audio equipment.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by spalka621, Aug 16, 2005.

1. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I recently recieved a NAD 3240 integrated amplifer from a friend for free. I don't know what is wrong but when I plug a cd player into it the sound out of the speakers is very low, I almost can't hear it. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if it's broken. Somebody please HELP!!!

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Welcome to TalkBass, Spalka.

Unfortunately, I'm no audio buff, but I can help you get better responses. I've changed your thread title from "HELP!!!" to something more descriptive. This way, people who know the answer will respond quicker and people who don't know or are not interested won't waste their time clicking your thread.

Members tend to ignore poorly titled threads anyway, as they tend to be disappointing to most members (see second reason above)

Good luck.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    First, see if your CD player has a level control for the line out.

If not, check the integrated amp for a level control for line in.

Also check that you are not actually plugging into the phono inputs.

Check your speakers too.

Also, swap out components with others that are known to be working to see if any are broken.

4. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    There dont seem to be any level controlles and im not plugged into the phono input. there are things on the back that are almost like electrical sockets that say switched 250ww max and unswitched 250w max, could that be anyhing. Also does this need to be plugged into a reciever or is the NAD the same thing.

5. The things that look like electrical sockets are in fact electrical sockets for additional components. The switched outlet means anything plugged into this outlet will turn off when you turn off the amplifier, the unswitched outlet means anything plugged into this outlet will work as long as the amplifier is plugged into the wall.

As for your lack of sound, check and see if there is a mute button on this amp that might be engaged.

An integrated amplifier is simply a pre amp and power amp without a tuner (radio) in one unit.

Good luck.

Mike

6. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Okay well i tried to fix it again. This time I tried pluggling the cd player into the "main in" instead of the cd player input. When i turned the speakers on the sound was very loud and i could not turn it down. Am I supposed to plug something else into the main in to control the volume?

7. First you get almost no sound, and now it's very loud and you can't lower it? :confused:

Are you sure this is an integrated amplifier, and not just a power amp?

Does this unit have volume, bass and treble controls on the front of it?

Mike

8. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Hrm... hold on a sec, we may have a clue here.

You have two jacks on the back of the unit labeled "MAIN IN" that you plugged your CD player into as a test. Did you have to unplug anything from those jacks to do so (that is, was there already something else plugged in there)?

Very close to your two MAIN IN jacks, are there a pair of jacks labeled something like "PRE OUT?"

Did your friend indicate why he was giving this thing away for free, e.g., did he say what was or wasn't working?

Here's what I'm thinking. An integrated amp is a preamp and power amp together in one box. Usually, there's some way you can break the signal chain in case you want to use the preamp to power another amp, or want to use a different preamp to drive the power amp. A lot of times, you'll see PRE OUT and MAIN IN jacks right next to each other, with heavy "jumper" bars connecting the center contacts (patch cords work too, but they stick out farther and are more expensive than just two bent rods).

It's conceivable that there's a switch somewhere to split pre and power -- sorry, I'm not familiar with that particular amp -- but my guess (and that's all it is) is this: Your preamp and power amp aren't connected. You jack into the preamp and it works, but there's no way to get any signal to the power amp. The very quiet sound you hear could be leakage into the floating power amp inputs.

If you can't find any buttons or switches on the front or back panels that seem to refer to splitting the preamp and power amp, and if there are a pair of PRE OUT-ish jacks near the MAIN IN jacks, I'd say get yourself a couple of short RCA to RCA patch cables and, with power off, connect PRE OUT to MAIN IN. Then turn the volume all the way DOWN, plug your CD player in again, power it up, and see if it works any better.

(If you CAN find the aforementioned button/switch, push/pull/twist/flip/etc. it, of course.)

Keep in mind: all just guesses, if ejimacated.

'rick

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Maverick is wise.

Look for a pair of "PRE OUT" jacks. Plug a patch cable between them and the MAIN IN jacks. That's the ONLY thing the MAIN IN should ever have plugged in.

Also, make sure if there is a "TAPE MONITOR", that it is turned off.

10. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    O yeah it worked, thanks alot for the help guys. :hyper:

11. What worked?

Mike

12. Don't tell your friend it works! ;)

13. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Well now that it works how much do you think its worth.

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've always liked NAD stuff...clean design and good sounding without any unneccessary buttons or distractions. I have both an NAD CD player that's first or second generation and still works fine and a NAD tapedeck that's pretty solid too. I don't know if they have much resale, since it's not a well known brand. But it's well worth keeping.

All of the integrated amps that I've had all have those little U-shaped jumpers for pre/main hookup.