1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need help with authenticity of 73 p bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dave shapiro, Dec 24, 2016.

1. dave shapiro

dave shapiro

Mar 11, 2009
    Hi you bass experts! I need to know about a 73 p bass I just bought . I am tring to authenticate the originality of it. I took apart and found that the pickup numbers are from 1973 but they have different numbers on the 2 pickups.One of the pickup numbers is 174273 and the second is 184373 . One set is black ink and the second number is red ink . Is this unusual? Also the neck is the thin neck like a jazz bass size .I was trying to look at numbers on back of neck and it is a maple neck and thin. The first 4 numbers look like 0106 . 01 being a precision and 06 ,I don't know what this is . Anyone ut there know what the code 06 is? Thanks for your help

Edit Report Bookmark

2. Pics or it didnt happen

3. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    Pics needed for the experts. Otherwise.......

4. dave shapiro

dave shapiro

Mar 11, 2009
    Here are pics

Attached Files:

5. dave shapiro

dave shapiro

Mar 11, 2009
    my most concern is the Numbers on back of neck . It looks like 0106 first 4 numbers and nowhere do I see any info on the 06 ?. And of course has there been instances where fender puts two different colors and numbers for pickups? Yhe neck is jazz like thin, mabey the 06 number has something to do with this. Its a maple neck with the skunk stripe going down it

6. dave shapiro

dave shapiro

Mar 11, 2009
    ok thanks here are pics

Attached Files:

7. dave shapiro

dave shapiro

Mar 11, 2009
    here are the pics thanks dave

Attached Files:

8. JJR58

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    Hey Dave, excellent, thx for the pics, give me a bit cause heading to my family's for Christmas, I'll try and chime in later. I not a complete expert on this, but I'll be able to tell you something. Hopefully the real in the know experts will chime in as well. Merry Christmas Dave.

dave shapiro likes this.
  9. JJR58

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    Pic of the headstock?

dave shapiro likes this.
  10. dave shapiro

dave shapiro

Mar 11, 2009
    Thanks Merry Christmas to you also

11. JJR58

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.

Not sure i can be of much help here.
    Kinda hard to tell, the pots and pups appear to be correct, i think, but i can't tell enough about the body and neck.
    The '70's P's had maple necks as well as rosewood, that i know, but i can't tell off the numbers to what year it belongs.

As i said, i'm not good enough to be more certain of what is what on your bass.

12. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    There were two numbering schemes running concurrently, your is the newer one that often faded. I can't tell from what's left of the the numbers what year they denote.

Scroll down to 1972 to 1980 Neck Stamps Explained:

Vintage Guitars Info - Fender, collecting vintage guitars fender stratocaster, strat, telecaster, tele

You might want to include a picture of the back plate serial number as well.

The two different PUP markings was fairly common, I believe, but I'll have to look into this, I've forgotten a lot of the details regarding Ps of this era.

The long G string saddle screw at the bridge was typical for 1973, as is the rest of what I can see from the pictures. It could have been an A neck, you should show a head-stock picture.

I would guess it is all original. I really like the lighter weight Fenders from this period, my '73 J is a gem.

dave shapiro and JJR58 like this.
  13. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

14. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
  15. dave shapiro

dave shapiro

Mar 11, 2009

Thanks for info . The bass is light and plays great. Love it I think its all original as well . Thanks and Happy New Year

JJR58 and One Drop like this.
  16. dave shapiro

dave shapiro

Mar 11, 2009
    No prob Thanks Again

17. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    To you to, wear it well!

18. JJR58

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.

Sure thing Dave, glad 9mm and One Drop were able to help, sounds like you've got a good one there, enjoy and I'm jealous!

19. neckdive

neckdive

Oct 11, 2013
    If you only had the body and nothing else, two clues would tell me that the body is a '73. '72 bodies had no rout (channel) between the pickups and the controls and '74 bodies had the thumbrest on the top above the E string.

The other items mentioned above just confirm that it's a '73.