Need help with Avatar 4x10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Feb 16, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I just bought a used Avatar 4x10 cab. I don't think the horn is working, but the price was certainly right. Maybe somebody here who's dealt with Avatar cabs can give me some advice here...

The back panel has two 1/4" jacks and an unlabelled brass knob, which I assume to be an attenuator for the horn. Well, turning the knob seems to have no effect on the sound, so I'm assuming that either the horn, the attenuator, or the crossover might not be working.

Can anyone give me some insight as to whether the knob is indeed a tweeter attenuator, and what steps I might take to diagnose and fix the problem?

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    It is a horn attenuator. Have you checked to make sure everything is connected?
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    yes, it's the horn attenuator... turned completely counter-clockwise is full cut, clockwise is full on... remove the back plate by unscrewing it and make sure everything IS connected properly at the horn and at the panel itself, like primusdude said... if you can't pinpoint the pathology yourself, shoot dave an email. he is always more than happy to help out where/whenever he can... ;)

great choice in a cabinet i might add!!! :D
  4. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Agree with Big Joe, of course, on your cab selection...;)
    No great loss if you have to run it without the horn till you get it repaired--I leave mine off anyway.
    Don't it sound sweet?? Yeehaaa!:D
  5. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I couldn't pass it up for $200, even without the horn. It will be sitting under a Goliath III, and I simply dialed up a bit more tweeter on it to compensate.

For the money, it sounds pretty darned good. It suffers in comparison to the Goliath, but with the two stacked together, soaking up 900 watts, the sound is way, way fuller than with the Goliath alone. I think it sounds better than the Peavey 4x10 that's parked at my band's rehearsal space, and I bet it was probably cheaper than it, to boot.

I will definitely want to replace it with another Goliath soon, but it is certainly a great cab for the price.

BTW, who is this Dave guy who I should shoot an email to? I assume I should visit Avatar's website???

Thanks for the input, guys! :)
  6. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas