Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help with band

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Stephen S, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    ive only been playing bass for 8 months and i have good technique and but i just joined this band and they are expecting alot from me so im trying to fill the spot of their last bassists any tips

2. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Have them write out their old bassist's parts for you and learn them. And practice, practice, practice. You'll do fine.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

If at all possible, record your rehearsals and play the tape back many times at home. You don't need a fancy recorder. Just get a simple $20 one at Radio Shack. You are not looking for tremendous fidelity of sound. Instead, you are listening for how you sound with the band, how you sound with the drums, what the music sounds like (Which will be easier if the band plays covers. If they play originals, the tape will help you memorize the songs much quicker.)

Keep the tapes and date them. You will notice progress as you attend more rehearsals. You will sound more confident and lock in better with the band.

If the band can help you with what their previous bassist played . all the better. Don't be surprised if they can't, though. Without knowing the particular band, they may not be able to even tell you the key they are playing in, much less the chord progression. I have been in bands like that.

If you are lucky,though, they may even have chord charts and that would be an infinite help to you.

By the way, good luck. There is nothing like playing in a band to speed up your learning and development as a bass player.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Oh, I forgot to add this. Keep your parts simple at first. Your first job is to stay tight with the rest of the band. You can gradually increase the bassline's complexity, but first you have to show these guys you can keep time and learn their songs.

Many beginners have a tendency to overplay anyway, making their basslines too busy. Bands hate that, especially guitarists. No need to show off now. The main thing is to show them you can learn their songs and play them with good timing...their timing.

Pay attention to the drummer. (I hope he keeps good time.)

5. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    the other bassist stuff isnt all that great and they brought me in to inprove on what he had so i wondering if i should take what he had and add some chords to it so it gets a better feel to it

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I would say use the method as mentioned before.
    Keep It Simple Stupid :). Not implying you are stupid. Just keep the groove at first. Don't try to do all you're cool fills or runs right off... be reserved, no one likes a hot head bassists... thats why God made guitarists :)

7. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    what kind of music is it?

just keep it simple. then when they trust you, feel free to mess up.