Need Help with bass chord

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by NooB_Me, Mar 13, 2005.

1. NooB_Me

Feb 24, 2005
    hi,does sumbody know where i can get list of bass chord in the internet ? thanks....
  2. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    bass chords? I would tell you if I knew what you where talking about.
    as a bassist you dont really play alot of chords thats the guitarists job. if thats even what your talking about I think you may be a little confused , a chord is 3 or more notes played together you can start there.
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA

... I think the dude is talking about chords.. You know.. Like, 6ths, 7ths, major, minor, sus4's, etc... And how to play them (positoins/notes)
  4. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Chordal bass playing is a truly wonderful thing. General principles I adhere to include:

- Always leave out one note out of the chord. For example, in E major leave out the 5th and keep the 7th and 10th. Or leave out the third. Always keep the root and 7th. With the others, use your judgement.

- Don't play 3rds on the A string, keep those on the D string, or play as 10ths on the G string.

- Keep roots to E string or A string.
  5. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Right, to which I would say... learn about chord construction, and what notes make up a chord. Check out - specifically
    If you want something a little more in depth about theory, check out the book Edly's Music Theory for Practical People. Great music theory book that won't make you want to kill yourself out of boredom.
  6. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    What if it's not a 7th chord :p. I mean.. c'mon! ;)
  7. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Oh . . . umm . . . don't know what to do then. :p
  8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Hey NooB me, I am going to assume you are a beginner(your name and all that). Playing chords on the bass is tricky bidness! One of the jobs(yes playing bass is a job)of the bassist is to supply the foundation that the chords(usually played by the guitar/piano)are built on. That low note gives the chords strength and meaning, you are their foundation! Playing chords on the bass is like building an entire structure out of concrete, what you would usually only make the foundation out of. If you are not very carefull it can be quite ugly!! The first "chords" I learned on bass were what are called double stops(two notes played together, not three).
    I recommend you "Take a Walk on the Wild Side" if you know what I mean!!
  9. billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    That's the truth! It's real easy to make a big bucket of mud.
    To go the next step, Mike Dimin's Autumn Leaves is great, really nice voicing, you don't need two octaves on your bass and it's not too hard to play (at least the begining section).