1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

need help with buying a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by troy, Mar 15, 2004.

1. hello to everyone this is my first post. i am intersted in buying an acoustic bass. i am a big jazz bass fan and have loved bass all my life. i am not a professional but would like to learn to play bass for fun/hobby.
    i have been looking on the internet and have no clue what i am reading and looking at, i would just like some tips and clarifiation on some terms such as 3/4 vs. 4/4,gamba style, is it better to get a used bass or new bass i dont want to spend more than 1K. any information will be useful thanks.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    You can't get much for 1K. You will want a 3/4 gamba shaped bass as the other styles may cost more.
    Plywood models are what you will look at. The Bass is hard enough to play as it is. Getting a cheap Bass that is hard to play will discourage you from learning. Try raising the bar to 2-3k and see the choices you have. Playability is the key to learn the Bass. Get a good teacher as well. It's not as easy as it looks.

3. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    check out the newbie links. there's a wealth of knowledge there for the aspiring player including bass comparisons and newbie bass buying tips. With that out of the way...
    basic tips:
    Stay away from ebay and cremona basses
    DO try before you buy
    Get a teacher first, the teacher can help you pick out a bass in your price range
    Consider renting to own... you will have the ability to get a bass under your fingers to see if its really for you and u can also stretch out payments so you can afford a bass in a higher price range (2k-3k)

I am not an expert and in fact a newbie myself (less than a month on the UB)
    But I learned all this stuff by just reading this board and especially the newbie links
    So give it a try!
    good luck
    ~spots :hyper:

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Check out the ''for sale'' thread. Sam Adams has a Bass for sale for $1,600.oo that would be perfect for you. Discuss the condition with him. This is the same model Bass I first owned shortly after I started playing.
    Or click it here; http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101600

5. Troy, if $1K is all you can manage at this time, you're going to be stuck with a low end laminated bass like an Englehardt or Kay. Unless you get real lucky. Absolutely nothing wrong with this....I would suggest renting a bass for a few months to really find out what it's like!
    Spots is pretty much right on with his suggestions.

6. thanks for the advice i have learned so much since i posted i have realized that i will have to step up from 1K, but im still learning the ins and outs of buying a bass, the more suggestions i get the better the experience will be thanks to all for your help.