Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with buying pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by garbage man, Feb 9, 2006.

1. garbage man

garbage man

Feb 9, 2006
    Hi, I'm new to this forum. I am interested in buying a new pickup or two pickups for my fender standard jazz bass. I like playing more punk rock music and I wanted to buy some pickups that would suit the type of sound for punk rock music. I read the stickies and it seemed like the seymour duncan antiquety II's seem like they would suit me very well. I like how they could "out P a Pbass". The only problem is $250 is sort of out of my price range, so I was thinking of maybe only buying one of them or maybe another brand. I would really appreciate any tips on pickups to look for that have a sound similar to a Pbass. It's really hard for me to explain what I want. basically I just wan't more "eumph" out of my bass. If anyone has ever listened to Propaganhi, the sound I'm looking for would be similar to their bassist.

I'm looking more for a fat or thick tone (At least I think I am) and I was wondering if I could get any help from you guys. Thanks for reading.

2. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Unless you are outside the USA there is no reason to pay $250.00 for a set of Antiquities.

If you really feel you can't afford them though and like Duncan's, then consider the Duncan "Hot" or "Quarter Pounder" Jazz pickups. Both are higher output than standard jazz pickups with the "Hot" being more towards a vintage tone and the "QP" being a bit more punchy and with more upper mids.

3. garbage man

garbage man

Feb 9, 2006
    Thank you for the reply. I thought I read in the sticky that a pair of the antiquities were aoub $250. I'll look into that and thanks again for the help.

*Edit* If I can only buy one of the antiquities, should I buy the neck or the bridge pickup for more of a fuller or heavier sound that I talked about earlier?

4. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I'd say neck pickup if you are looking to get as close as possible to a P-Bass tone.

Having said that, I think you will have a tough time matching the P-Bass tone with any Jazz pickup but you can get reasonably close with the correct pickup and by messing with you EQ.

5. garbage man

garbage man

Feb 9, 2006
    Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    The Duncans mentioned by jwymore would be great, but you could also try the DiMarzio Model J. Those are inexpensive, noiseless, and apparently very thick and aggressive sounding. (I've never tried them myself, but the reviews are pretty consistent.)

Or, maybe start by installing a series/parallel switch. Jazz pickups are normally in parallel, but when wired in series the output rises, and the tone thickens. To get an idea of how this works, try an American Series Jazz (2003 or later), and engage the button in the neck volume knob (the S-1 switch). It won't sound exactly like a P-bass by any means, but it's a move in that direction.

7. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I would think that for Punk, you would get some great sound using EMG actives, with the BTC EQ. Lots of adjustment there, for some serious growl. Good Luck!

8. garbage man

garbage man

Feb 9, 2006
    Thanks for all of the replies guys, I really appreciate the help.