Need help with cab selection... Impedance, brand, config, etc...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sgtthump, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Here's my situation... I'm currently running an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro through an old '80s GK 410B cab and a new GK Backilne 115 cab. Each speaker is 8ohms, so the total load in mono/bridged mode is 4ohms. This allows me to get approximately 1200 watts from the SVT 4 Pro. Cool stuff.

However, I'm looking at upgrading to either a single Avatar cab or a dual cab setup and selling off the cabs I currently have... My #1 concern is power. That includes both overall volume AND the "thump you in the chest" type of tone. I'm a very aggressive player and I love to drive the band with loud thumping tones. I want to run my amp at it's full potential to get the most power possible.

With that said, I'm thinking about either getting a single 4ohm cab or possibly even two 4ohm cabs. The single 4ohm cab would allow me to run the SVT 4 Pro in mono/bridged mode and get the 1200 watts. I am considering the Avatar 410 Pro, the Ampeg SVT 410HLF or the Ampeg SVT 610 cabs for this purpose. Each of these SEEM like they'd be good for a single cab setup, but I have yet to compare them.

If I went the two cab route, I'd want them both to be 4ohms, so I have the option of using a single cab and still getting the amps full wattage. Since the SVT 4 Pro doesn't take a 2ohm mode in the mono/bridged configuration, I'd have to run each cab off one side of the stereo power amp (making it a dual mono configuration). Each side of the power amp would be running at approximately 490 watts @ 4ohms. With two cabs, there would be more speaker area, so it seems like this would still be VERY loud and thumpin... Do you agree or should I stick with the mono/bridge one cab setup?

Anyway, for the dual cab setup, I'm really only considering Avatar at the moment (because of the price vs quality thing)... Specifically, a 2x10/2x12 setup. This way, I could use either cab alone in mono/bridged mode and get the amps full wattage or run them with each side of the power amp in stereo mode to still get 490 watts @ 4ohms each side. I'm also considering the 4X10 Neo and 2x12 cab setup. That's probably more speaker than I need, but each cab could be used individually for a killer tone (I presume, anyway...).

So, what would you guys do in my situation? The only reason I don't dig the cabs I have now is because they're both 8ohms and using only one of them with my SVT 4 Pro doesn't cut it. The 115 has too much low end mud when used alone and the 410 doesn't have enough volume or thump.

Remember, my priority here is POWER. I want a super LOUD and THUMPING tone.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

2. By the way, I understand that if I went with the dual 4ohm cab setup and I decided to change amps in the future, I'd have to find an amp that either runs on stereo or an amp that goes down to a 2ohm load. But to be honest, I think I'll be sticking with this SVT 4 Pro for quite a while.

PS - Sorry for the long post above!!!
  3. Berg NV Series...The NV425 with a 15" and 3-10" would blow away both of your GK cabs, sound louder, clearer, and would be easier to roll around because if its relative light weight and tilt-back design. I like the SVT-4Pro, and I think the NV series cabs are a great match for what you're looking for. I have the 6x10" and it's one of the rockin'est sounding cabinets I've ever heard...and I played Mesa cabinets for years. Absolutely annihilates an Ampeg 8x10.

This would most likely eliminate the need for a two cabinet setup, as it's probably only about 10 lbs or so heavier than your 4x10.

Check it:
  4. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago

I had a SVT-4Pro for a few years. Originally I had two 4 ohm cabs (410 and 115) and connected them in stereo (490W per cab) as you mentioned.

Personally, IMO, etc: I was much happier with the volume, headroom, and punch when I mono-bridged into a single 4 ohm cab. (Eden D410-XLT). I'm sure others may disagree and prefer more speaker area, but for me, the mono-bridged blew the other configurations away.
  5. Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't mention a budget in my original post, ut $1,100 or so for that cab is definitely over my budget at the moment. Sorry about that.
  6. Realllllllllllly? That's interesting. It sounded louder and punchier overall with just one cab, huh?
  7. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If you really want thump what about an Acme LowB4? I don't know how one would sound under an SVT but they are supposedly the kings of thump. Maybe one of the Acme users here will give some more specifics.
  8. I should have mentioned that you can find them used for $800 or so in the U.S.
  9. Bass Northwest has a used NV425 for ~ $650.00
  10. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    It may not be the fairest comparison, because when I was using the 2 cabs in stereo, they were a Ampeg BSE410 and an Ampeg BXT115. To me throwing 490 watts each at them didn't leave a lot of headroom, and for higher volumes, I was really pushing them, to the point that they were distorting. They were loud; I didn't like the sound I was getting.

The Eden cab, on the other hand, handles 700W RMS, and I had an additional 500W headroom, which let me get nice and loud (and clean) without having to push the amp super hard. Again, this was my perception only. Yours may differ. I've been happier having headroom.

The Eden has turned into my rehearsal cab simply because I tired of hucking around a 100lb cab all the time.

My advice is, if possible, to bring your amp into your local shops and try out a few different configurations. That's the only way I found what worked for me.

Good luck!

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Avatar 410 Pro or NEO are both good choices. However, Dave has told me that he's coming out with a 212 NEO in late June. You'll get the best of both worlds with this...."punch you in you chest" attack and booty shakin' lows

I just bought a 410 NEO and love it, but it's going back and I'm waiting for the 212.
  12. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to read up on those...

13. That's a little better. :)
  14. Now you're talking! I won't have the cash to buy my new cab(s) until the middle part of May. :(
  15. Thanks!
  16. Interesting!!! Thanks for the advice.
  17. Well crap... I could always get a few cabs! :)

2x10" and 1x12" - Each cab could be 8ohms for a total load of 4ohms.

4x10" or 2x12" - This cab would be 4ohms and meant to be used alone.

Do I need all of that? Heck no... But it would be nice! :)

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Here's the other thing I was thinking of. I play in church every Sunday but do med-sized clubs on the weekend. The 210 doesn't have the bottom for gospel music, so a 112 as a permament base for the 210 for church would be one rig and then tansport the 210 home for the 212 to complete my gig rig . Avatars are inexpensive enough to do this...and think of the cab combinations!!!
  19. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I played an Aguilar 212 today extensively. That cab had lots of thump. Great sounding cab too.