1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

need help with cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ridethebike, Jan 29, 2002.

  1. hi im not the worlds best at cabinets and heads and woteva but to my understanding cabinets are plugged into ur amp to well make it sound better wot are the heads for and will cabinets go with practice amps plz i really need some help on this thanx :D
  2. mgood


    Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Cabinets are speaker cabinets. A box with speakers in it.

    The head is an amplifier and some sort of preamp. Usually there is some kind of equalizer and maybe some other doo-dads in the head. You plug your bass into a head. You run a speaker cable from the speaker output on the head to the speaker cabinets.

    Combo amps have a head and the speaker cabinet together as one unit. Most practice amps, I would think, would be of this type. Many combo amps are capable of running an additional cabinet though.