Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help with cabs for V4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ashton, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Hi
    heres my situation:

i have around $800 with me now, in 8-10 weeks ill get another $1000, and in the time it takes to get this thousand I can gather $400-500 at most.

lets say $2000 i have to spend, if all goes well i am getting an ampeg V4 which puts 100 watts into 4 and 8 ohms.

what type of cab configuration would fit this?

thanks in advance
    Lukas

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A very efficient cabinet is what you want!

100 watts, even tube watts, doesn't go too far. You'll need an efficient cabinet to get the most SPL for your money.

A 1x15 is probably best since you have limited power.

Good luck!!!

3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I have a V4B- for small-medium gigs, the amp has plenty of headroom & volume.

The Ampeg Classic Series cabinets match great with the V4B. I use an SVT-48HE ( 4x8 w/ horn; awesome but no longer made!)

Either the Ampeg 4x10 alone, or better still WITH a 1x15 Classic cabinet will make you very happy-
    Just wait 'til you press the "Presence" switch on the back panel!!

4. With that kinda jack I don't know why you wouldn't get an SVT......

5. Hmm. How about the SVT410HLF? It's a purdy cab. But yeah, since you've got that money, I'd go SVT.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I have a friend that plays an Ampeg V4b through an Ampeg classic series 2 15 cab and loves it.

7. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Hi
    svt....hmmmm :D

ill check up but I think theyre like $4000australian maybe some tbers wanna sell me theirs cheap :D :bassist:
    lukas

8. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    As best I remember, the original V4B's were matched with a large, folded cabinet, with a single, rear-firing 15 -- similar to the Acoustic 360 cabs.

(I knew a couple of bass-playing brothers who had a pair of them back about 20 years ago.)

That's probably not what you're looking for now, but I thought I would offer that little bit of historical. perspective.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The V4B cabinet actually had 2x15 Altecs (I believe) firing in a clamshell type arrangement...

Here's a picture that I have that was taken from the front with the grille and the speaker access panels removed. This particular cabinet was on eBay back in '99 and had the original speakers replaced with EVs (one EVM and one SRO).

10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    And one with the access panels installed...

11. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Hi
    well thats certainly different. the clamshell arangement of the speakers.

looking for an ampeg head not combo amp, guitar amp or anything else. all tube power and devestating tone :D

Lukas