Need Help With Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrew266, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Im trying to get the biggest bang for my buck and being a college student i dont have much money, Im Quite Aware that the Ampeg stuff is high quaility but it also has a High Price Tag, The Ashdown price tag is really low and Hartke seems to be mid -grade, im looking to be playing metal, hardcore and occasionaly some jazz and alterntive, i own a Epiphone Thunderbird IV and a GK400Rb head for the momment, i will be playing in Standard, Drop D , ocasionaly a whole step down, very rarely 2 steps down i do not really muddy or buzzing, but looking for a nice round

Ampeg SVT15E 399.99
    Ampeg SVT410HE 579.99
    Ampeg SVT810E 949.00

Ashdown MAG 410T deep 299.95
    Ashdown MAG 115T deep 249.95
    Ashdown MAG 810T deep 659.95

Hartke 410B XL Professional Cabinet 399.99
    Hartke 115B XL Professional Cabinet 299.99
    Hartke 810 XL Bass Cabinet 699.99

Thanks for your time its alot for a first time post but thank you for any help
  2. Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    If you are going to play high volume you may need a whole stack, but if your funds are limited, start with a 1x15 cabinet which is a bass players bread and butter. There is good used stuff for a lower price. Also, try out peavey stuff. Peavey is always good quality and made bullet proof. They make a large cab with an 18 and 2 tens which sounds good. :cool:
  3. Hows the quaility of those Ashdown 410 mags i heard alot of good stuff about their abm line but not to much about the mags 299 for the 410 dosnt sound bad
  4. My buddy, Chris has a pair of the Ashdown 410 mags. I only heard them once, sounded great. His TB name is kringle77.
  5. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I don't mean to be a prick and give another thought.... but buy a decent secondhand cab. As I am a college student as well, I have to take care of my purse too. It would be horrible if you spent the money on a 1.15" plus a 2.10" Ampeg and in the end don't like the sound.

I can really recommend a Bag End Q10X-D cab. It's so unbelievable powerfull, loud and gives yet a fantastic sound. John Patitucci has helped Bag End for years to get the 4.10" it's 'perfect' voicing.... every note sounds great, also delivered by the beautifully sounding round high notes by the tweeter. It's rated 'conservatively' (Bag End's own words) at an astonishing 800W.

Try to find a cab for that price, less then the retailprices of the Ampeg cabs!
  6. those bag end's are going for around 1000 thats kind of pricey but thanks for the suggestion, right now i got my eye on the hartke or ashdown 4x10 to start of and get a 15 down the road
  7. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    The Ampeg SVT410HE is not a great cab on its own, it tends to lack the very low end frequencies. It sounds great with the Ampeg SVT15E however. And the SVT15E sounds great on its own as well
  8. i got my eye on those ashdowns for some reason i read alot of good reviews about the tone and the price is nice too. what you guys think
  9. BLonge

Jan 8, 2005

im pretty sure im going to get the same ashdown 4x10 youre looking at. im in high school and looking for my first non-combo amp set up and its gotten great reviews everywhere. i think im gunna do what youre doing, get the 4x10 now and get 1x15 later. im looking at the SWR Workingman's 4004 as a head. im pretty confident that the ashdown 4x10 will be a good cab for the price. plus,the blue speakers look pretty cool.

ps- (the best place to get the ashdown would probly be zzounds, their shipping is only 18 bucks...anyone know of anywhere else better to get it if the local store dont have it?)
  10. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Ok, then we'll leave it on Ashdowns. :smug:

I think the MAG series are ok, but the ABM's are way better. Nevertheless it's worth the money in any way. Well constructed stuff, good sound. (Perhaps you should check harmony central for it, positive reactions) Reliability is ok too I would guess.

I owned an Ashdown guitaramp for a year or two and sold it in the end, because I played only bass and could use the money better. The quality of the product in any way was superior to other products of other manufacturers and I think the bass **** won't let you down either.

I wouldn't buy Ampeg though.... not really an allround sound. I never can become friends with this brand in any way. (you mentioned you played metal, but jazzy stuff as well... so I think IMHO Ampeg won't do much good)
  11. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    I've got an Ampeg SVT 410-HLN for sale.

500 watts RMS / 1000 watts peak
    4 Ohm

Excellent condition with padded cover from Le Cover.

Price $475.00 (plus shipping)

Great cab, has allowed any head's tone come through. Excellent cab for rock. Handles the low B really well due to it's extended low range.

I just picked up a Bergantino NV610, so this is available.

I was and still use a GK 1001RB II Head. A really great match.

I could send you pictures tomorrow if interested.

12. thanks guys this has been really helpfull i think im going to go with the ashdown i want a round sound even thoe im going to be playing metal and hardcore i dont really like all the crunch behind it thats what the distriton on guitars are for
  13. sorry for the double post but one more question the 410 and the 115 or the 810
  14. Go 810 if you can afford it and want to lug it around. If you want to spend more in the long run but have easier things to carry, go 410 and 115.
  15. the 810 actually cost more than than the 410 and 115
  16. ??? i think im going to go with the 8x10 the price isnt to bad i found one website for 600 and maybe i can go to a store and talk em down to 500
  17. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    my current gig rig cost about $1000 total by buying used:

Mesa/Boogie Diesel 4X10
    Mesa/Boogie Diesel 1X15
    QSC RMX 850 power amp

look around on Ebay. the Diesel series Mesa cabs can be had pretty cheaply. They're kinda heavy, so start lifting weights(or cabs). They're not backbreaking heavy, just tiring on the hands when carrying them long distances.
  18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No Avatar suggestion yet??? You won't find better cabs for the money.

19. haha well im a big guy already i dont mind carrying stuff i usualy get shafted carrying everyone elses equpiment too cause im the big one
  20. where are you guys getting all these good deals on used stuff all the pawn shops by hear are charging like ten bucks less than list and ebay isnt coming up with anything good, and GC has very little used everytime i go