1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need help with choosing power amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by headbanger013, Sep 14, 2010.

1. headbanger013

headbanger013

Sep 14, 2010
    well, I have a Trace Elliot GP7SM pre-amp and an Ampeg 410-HLF cab, but I did not think through that the pre-amp needs a power amp to run into the cab and actually make noise... So I have been looking for power amps, but have no idea which to get. All my tone is in the bass and pre-amp, I just need something that will power up the rig. As I have already spent quite a bit of money lately, I am looking at something with a maximum price of around 400$, but as i said, I cannot imagine, something that will just power up the pre-amp, could cost more than this. In the handling, the cab says 500 Watts RMS, and 1000 peak, i do not know how much power the pre-amp has though, anyways, please, somebody help haha!

cheers!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    there are tons of inexpensive and good power amps out there. crown, qsc, peavey, crest...just to name a few. the most you will be able to use with that cab is 500w at 4 ohms, so you can get away fairly cheaply if you buy wisely. you can also buy a power amp with more power if you use the volume knob wisely and don't try to destroy your cab by putting as much power as humanly possible through it.

and your preamp puts out zero power or maybe a watt or two at best.

3. headbanger013

headbanger013

Sep 14, 2010
    thanks for the info man!

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Jimmy has given good advice. I would recommend looking for a used QSC RMX or Crest CA series amp. These are HEAVY, so they are being ditched for cheap. They sound terrific and literally have oceans of headroom. Craigslist, Ebay, and of course TB classified are your friend.

A cruise through the EBay listings for such amps yields much info, IMHO.

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Crown XLS drivecore or XTI are the best buys right now. Wouldn't consider anything else myself.

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
  7. baron665

baron665

Apr 9, 2010
    Michigan
    well I took into account his cab is rated at 500watts/1000 peak. I figured he could crank this amp without damaging his cab, and it's under his $400 limit. Hell, if I wanted him to blow his cab or something, I would have suggested a 3000+ watt Pyle or Technical Pro. Those things are dirt cheap.

8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    used power amps are pretty easy to find, and even new ones are cheap and easy to find. Power amps are always overated in watts and its very common for companys to claim amazing power of 500 or 800watts! at 2ohms. don't be fooled by wattage ratings at low impedance like 2 and 4 ohms...i look at the 8ohm rating and go with that. I would go with a 200 or 300 watt amp at 8ohms. basic idea is it takes about 150 to 200 watts to be heard over a moderate to loud drummer and guitar. Just a 100watts is enough to be kinda heard over a drummer but the sound will most likely be very distorted. not quite enough power. So with double the power 200watts is enough power for the same volume level but would have less distortion and better low end. Now at the top of the chain you have 300watts which is enough power to get even louder. but the point is to have alot of money in the bank or "clean overhead " 300 watts can provide distortion free bass and will have a more defined punch and and super low end. Keep in mind you won't need to crank the volume all the way up,you might only need your volume half way up. and be able to keep up with a drummer and guitar player no problem, so you would only be using 150watts out of the 300 but it is a very clean 150watts with just as much overhead. people don't realize that those eminence drivers in ampeg cabinets, sound good and can handle power, but they do drink up alot of power and are not very efficent. if you have an amp thats rated at 300watts at 8ohms you should be good. remember thou a amp rated at 300watts@8ohms would be 500watts@4ohms and 600watts@2ohms and so more often than not they will try and sell the amp as a 600watt amp.....which it is NOT! don't be surprized if your use my wattage guide and buy a 300watt amp but don't notice that was the BS 2ohm rating. because in reality the amp is no more than a wimpy 150watts@8ohms and will make you heard but with lots of distortion and farty bass. 300watts into 8ohms minimum period......

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Check Carvin.com website. Their older DCM series power amps are pretty cheap if they still have any.

Paul

10. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Always worth checking out the "amps" part of the classified below, too.

11. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/xls_drivecore.htm

Drivecore 1000 is 300 bucks and 700w/1100w bridged (8/4 ohms). It has DSP you can use to protect your speaker from low frequency stuff, and other options.

What I'm getting at is the older XLS stuff is worse in every way for more money, but backed by the same warranty and the same company.

12. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001

I just picked up a drivecore 1500 off Ebay for $350 delivered.

1500 watts into 4 ohms bridged....eight friggan pounds!

I'm diggin' it.

13. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    The QSC GX3 and GX5 are something to consider. Old technology but reliable, they weigh around 25lbs and they are compact. They are only about ten and a half inches deep. They have six year warranties and only cost a few hundred brand new.

14. Pretty good posts here. I'd like to chime in with a specific question if anyone has this together, or maybe it's unnecessary:

I have a Trace AH250SMX and want to add a poweramp- in case I need to run more cabs to knock down small buildings... can a Trace Send deliver enough juice to a Crest FA series poweramp to be reasonable?

Maybe a picayune question, but I seem to remember the FA series being an issue with the output of a Trace power amp. No?...

15. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    I got a used QSC PLX1804 here in the classifieds a while back for under $400. It is light, loud and reliable. Might be worth checking one out, they have good reputation.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021