need help with choosing practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by otomak, Mar 6, 2003.

1. otomak

Aug 23, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hi, I wanted some opinions/help on choosing a practice amp. I've narrowed it down to the following:

Fender Bassman 25
    Fender 60B Frontman
    Ampeg BA110
    SWR LA12

I've read a number of threads concerning the Bassman and the Ampeg, and it seems to me that they both have really good, deep lows, with defined punching mids. I'm personally leaning towards the Bassman, I really like that kickback feature. It hits me right in the chest. I've tried the Bassman at my local GC, but could barely hear myself over all those punk kids playing crap at full blast. It 'sounded' good I think, but I would need to go at a less crowded time. The other models I haven't had a chance to play yet, so any info you guys have would be great.

2. Steeltoe

Mar 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I have an ampeg ba112. It's probably like the ba110 except with a single 12" speaker. I really like the rca inputs, which allows you to play along with a cd player or sequencer. Good lows and eq features. Tilt back cab. You can never go wrong with ampeg.
  3. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    i found a very new ba-110 on ebay for $150 and it is a perfect home amp. i can move it from room to room, use the rca's to play with cd's, it is tilt-back style, and i usually don't go past 6 or so on the volume.

4. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Bassman25, its a great amp. The only problem is that the kickback feature(which is good) makes it very awkward to carry.
  5. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    the ampeg or the bassman are both really good.

You should also look into the Galien-Kruger MB150.
    (I am not sure if it is still made, but it is a good little amp for practice at home)
  6. otomak

Aug 23, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ok, I've done a bit more searching and listening and decided to go with the Fender Bassman 25, but in the process have also discovered the Peavey Minx 110. I can't find this amp any where near where I live, so I cant test it out, but if anyone else out there has, could you describe the tone? I've read in other threads how good it sounds, but not much about what it sounds like. e.g. how does the Minx's sound compare to an Ampeg ba110?

I'd like to hear any thoughts on that amp.

7. LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    I can't comment on the Ampeg.

I have played through the Fender and liked it.......nice tone.

I purchased a Peavey Minx 110 and am very happy with it.

Good price.

Sounds good even with a 5 string.

Reliable like taxes.

Good for practice.

I use mine on quiet gigs too.
  8. otomak

Aug 23, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Are there any difference between the older Minxs compared to the new one? They look different, and it seems the new ones can output 50 watts at 4 ohms, but do they sound the same?

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    IMO the Bassman 25 has great tone, and really decent features for a practice amp.

It's not on your list and costs a bit more, but you may want to check out a Tech21 / SansAmp Landmark 60...

10. LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.

I have not tried the newest ones.

Mine is the previous style.

35 Watts @ 8 ohms.
  11. aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    Out of those you listed (I have heard them all) I prefered the Ampeg. Nice tone, nice controls and it could stand up to a small gig.

I use a Hartke B-60. Nice, but big and heavy. Other practice amps I like are:

Trace Eliot Boxer 65 (30 sounds good too)
    Gallien Kreuger Backline 110 (What a cute little

If I had to buy again, I would choose the little GK.