Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with current situation.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jiant., May 31, 2005.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Hey, I'm getting ready to go to college in the fall, and I need some advice on what I should do. Right now I have an Ampeg SVT 410 HLF that I won't be able to keep in my dorm and have nowhere to keep it off campus. What I'm wanting to do is trade or sell my Ampeg to get either an Aguilar 2x12 and buy a Kustom Groove Bass head or get a good 2x10 combo. First of all, do you think I will be able to find someone willing to trade the Ampeg for their Aguilar? I bought it new from Bass Central last October, it's been used at a handful of gigs since and it is in immaculate condition. Or should I go for a combo, i.e. Fender 250/210. Also are the Kustom 2x10 combos good, or would I be likely to blow a speaker? Thanks and God Bless! -Brad

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Maybe one of Schroeder's small cabinet airheads with the head of your choice. A 1210 or the 1212 set up like that might work for you.

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    My personal opinion is to stay away from combos for gigging unless you really fall in love with one.

You may find someone who is willing to trade. All you can do is try. Put it in the for sale forum.

What head are you using now?

:D

Joe.

4. You outta check out the new GK Neo 212. It is a smokin' cab that weighs less than 50 lbs, I believe and is not all that big. Big sound in a little package.

5. If you go to this thread, and scroll to the bottom, you can actually see a pic of the cab itself and a short video of one being played. Hope that helps.

6. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Ok, thanks for the advice. Currently I'm using the Behringer *waits for lightning to strike* BX300T head, and although I do like it, it's pretty beaten up and is on it's way out. I've looked at the GK cab some, and it looks pretty darn good. What would really help is what you guys think I would be able to get in trade for my Ampeg. Thanks and God Bless! -Brad

7. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    IMO selling the Ampeg and buying another used cab would probably be easier than trying to find someone to outright trade with.

8. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Well now I'm thinking I might just take the Ampeg and stick it in the corner or somthing. The only reason I didn't think I could is because I thought my parents would say that I had no need for somthing that big at school, but my dad is actually all for me holding on to it since I paid so much for it and he doesn't want to see me lose out on much cash. Looks like I just need to get a few more paychecks in the band and I'll pick up a Groove Bass head.

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    It might be hard to get away with jamming out on a normal size bass rig at school... and I know certain dorms prohibit anything of the sort. Might depend on your school's policy. I'm heading to the Art Institute of New England in the Fall, and I'm in the process of dumping off my entire fullstack along with my rack.

It also depends on if your going to be in range of your band or not. If your kind of in the same general area.... then maybe you can just store your rig at home, and pick yourself up a Digitech BP50 and a decent pair of headphones. I got mine used for $50, and it was such a convenient investment (since my rig is downstairs). Being able to jam anywhere you want is pretty sweet, and the effects it has in there are well worth the money.

If your far off, then you could just leave your rig out of the way until a show situation arises possibly, and practice with the headphones. Its really pretty handy.