1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help with custom 5 string

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sekoiya, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Sekoiya

Sekoiya

Mar 23, 2014
    Hello everyone,

New to talkbass, if I'm putting this in the wrong forum please let me know! Anyways, I recently acquired a custom made 5 string bass in Montreal Quebec from Lutherie MF. The body is swamp ash with a maple neck and rosewood top. It's got 2 EMG P40 pickups and an EMG BQS system. I love the feel of the bass and it's why I bought it but I'm trying to achieve a certain sound that can be heard here:
    . I play progressive metal and want that warm growly tone. I'm thinking I will need EMG 40DC or CS picks ups to achieve this. I also want to drop tune to Ab,Eb,Ab,Db,Gb and I want to have high string tension for picking. I've tried GHS boomers .45 - .135 but they were extremely loose and sounded like ****. I looked around a bit online and the DR Strings Drop-Down Tuning 5-String Heavy Bass set sounds like it might work for the tension. I've also heard Circle K strings can help achieve these drop tunings with good tension. Am I on the right track so far?