1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help with DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pjh2112, Mar 13, 2009.

1. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    I really need to invest in a good DI, but I don't want to spend a lot. What is the best DI for around $100 give or take a couple dollars. I've looked at the Hartke attack pedal and a Seymour Duncan Paranormal DI. Any good? I play with an active Warrior 5 string with EMG's, and have Shure E5's for IEM.

2. If you can get a radial, very good DI.

3. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    +1 The ProDI are quite nice
    If you can find a used JDI or J48 for that price, get it!

A Countryman Type 85 used is also an excellent choice

Since you have an active bass I recommend a passive transformer based DI like the PRO DI or the JDI. It will attenuate your signal but will KILL any ground loops and add no electronic noise. Transformer based DI's (usually Jensen-transformer based) are my personal favorites.

As far as pedals, I was quite impressed with the Sansamp stuff when the sansamp "effect" was disengaged.

If you can't go used and I were you, I'd get the Radial ProDI

Don't go cheap with a DI, you will regret it later.

4. Hi there,

Does anybody know something about the Radial JDX, it goes between your amp and your speaker.
    Is it any goed?

At this moment i'm, looking into a Hughes and Ketten Red Box Classic. I was told it misses some bass.
    Other types i'm looking for are:
    -Tube Amp Doctor, fanta
    -Palmer PDI 09

Lex.

5. Koeda

Koeda

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    Art Tube MP Studio. A deal at $29 and makes a sweet DI. At the $100 the Tube Pac adds a nice compressor. Have both and realy like them on bass.
    David

6. fedebass

fedebass

Feb 22, 2006
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Yeah, I agree: Radial. Excellent DI.

7. pbass62

pbass62 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Concord NC
    My setup for church is my Dingwall 5 into a MXR M-80 bass DI to board.

Our other player uses a passive jazz into a Sans Amp DI to board.

The MXR has a great clean sound and 3 band EQ plus can be phantom powered and built like a tank

I have seen them used on TB $70-100 used or $120 new